PDA

View Full Version : Unwell Bosie - any ideas

kennedpa
08-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Folks,

Since moving the guys in to thie new home I have lost a Salmon ( fine one day, next colour went and he did to) Now one of my Bosie's looks unwell( see pic). To me it looks like something had pecked him bigtime... Also I have a blue Salmon...dont recall its name, his got similiar marks on hios side too

mac
08-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Folks,

Since moving the guys in to thie new home I have lost a Salmon ( fine one day, next colour went and he did to) Now one of my Bosie's looks unwell( see pic). To me it looks like something had pecked him bigtime... Also I have a blue Salmon...dont recall its name, his got similiar marks on hios side too

A few questions. What are the parameters of the tank with regards to the water. Also what is the stocking of this tank?

Because it looks to me to be not only damage to the fish from some injury, but also poor water qualtiy, due to the raised make on its head.

mac

kennedpa
08-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Mac...unfortunetly he passed

Water parms are as follows

KH 7
PH between 7.1 and 7 - co2 controlled
Nitrite 0
Temp 28

Did a 40% water change today and the stock are a lot happier. I thew in some Broad spectrum treatment last night and the stock was noticebly happier today.

Stock

2 clowns :-)

4 Salmon reds
3 Bosies
1 Neon Rainbow
1 Blue coloured rainbow... dont recall the species
3 Panda cats
3 Bronze
3 Punctatus
3 Albinos
2 Glass cats
3 upsidedown cats - small variety
6 Cardinal Tets
6 Rummy Nose tets
6 Rosy Tets
3 Discus
1 Whiptail cat
6 ottos

AquaLene
08-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Keep on with the water changes. Rainbows like really clean water. Sounds like your fish are doing much better already, but another water 20% change in about 3 to 4 days will do more good than harm.

Your temperature might be a bit high too, apparently high temperatures can shorten the lifespan of rainbows (not sure about your other fish). 24 - 26°C is normally sufficient.

Keep a close eye on your rainbows, as they are prone to Mycobacteriosis (fish TB/tuberculosis). Look out for missing/raised scales that turn into fleshy looking sores/ulcers. If TB infects and spreads in your tank, the results can be devastating - and you could end up starting over, sterilising everything, and replacing your entire stock. (I don't mean to scare you - your fish sound like they are doing much better!! But thought I would just alert you to this.)

mac
08-30-2009, 08:29 PM
It is not the temperature that will be the problem for the fish.

Since the fish have picked up after a water change, IMO it must be a Nitrate or Ammonia spike. This can cause your deaths very fast.

Along with the possibility of the odd nip from the Punctatus. Which have been known to take the odd chunk out from time to time, from dying fish.

Do you know how high your Nitrate and Ammonia is?
Also how big a tank is this. And not for a discussion on stocking and bad choices.:22:

Because if the tank is around 50g it would more than likely be why there is problems. Toxicity in the water.

mac

kennedpa
08-31-2009, 07:50 AM
It is not the temperature that will be the problem for the fish.

Since the fish have picked up after a water change, IMO it must be a Nitrate or Ammonia spike. This can cause your deaths very fast.

[
Along with the possibility of the odd nip from the Punctatus. Which have been known to take the odd chunk out from time to time, from dying fish.

[
Do you know how high your Nitrate and Ammonia is? No as above, was only able to do KH and Nitrite
Also how big a tank is this. And not for a discussion on stocking and bad choices.:22:

Yeh well after the h2o change last night everyone seems happy for nowmac

B]I didnt check Ammonia....test kit was NBG so didnt have time to waste so I fell back on to the old water change rule of thumb[/B]

B]Punctatus cory's :-O[/B]

Tank is 450ltrs 4ft x 2ft x 4ft
Because if the tank is around 50g it would more than likely be why there is problems. Toxicity in the water.

kennedpa
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Keep on with the water changes. Rainbows like really clean water. Sounds like your fish are doing much better already, but another water 20% change in about 3 to 4 days will do more good than harm.

Your temperature might be a bit high too, apparently high temperatures can shorten the lifespan of rainbows (not sure about your other fish). 24 - 26°C is normally sufficient.

Keep a close eye on your rainbows, as they are prone to Mycobacteriosis (fish TB/tuberculosis). Look out for missing/raised scales that turn into fleshy looking sores/ulcers. If TB infects and spreads in your tank, the results can be devastating - and you could end up starting over, sterilising everything, and replacing your entire stock. (I don't mean to scare you - your fish sound like they are doing much better!! But thought I would just alert you to this.)

TB :-O geepers.... thanks for that !

Re the temp - when I had them in the 3 ft tank I was running the temp at 30c....no issues. This temp was mainly for the discus...have now reduced that over time leading toward the move in to the new tank.

kennedpa
08-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Just noticed one of my Bosies now has a BLACK spot on his side....probably about 1mm in length...it wasnt there before :-O

Lady Hobbs
08-31-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm confused. Are you keeping these 50 some fish in that one 50 gallon tank? If so, and you recently moved, I have to assume a huge ammonia spike as your bow definately had lost scales. Perhaps due to ammonia burns.

Discus like warmer temps and bows like temps that are on the cooler side. But if this stock is all in that one tank, you definately are way over stocked.

mac
09-01-2009, 04:11 AM
A 450 lt tank is more than fine.

As for the trouble you had something is wrong that is for sure. And since a water change has helped it is obviously water related.

How new is this large tank?

mac

kennedpa
09-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Yeh I dont think overstocking is an issue in the 450 ltr tank. The tank has been up and running for just over 3 weeks. A slight water change was after the 1st week. Followed by a larger water change on the 2nd week

kennedpa
09-01-2009, 07:43 AM
A 450 lt tank is more than fine.

As for the trouble you had something is wrong that is for sure. And since a water change has helped it is obviously water related.

How new is this large tank?

mac

Got home from work tonight and all seems to be happy and they are all happy to me see me too..

kennedpa
09-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm confused. Are you keeping these 50 some fish in that one 50 gallon tank? If so, and you recently moved, I have to assume a huge ammonia spike as your bow definately had lost scales. Perhaps due to ammonia burns.

Discus like warmer temps and bows like temps that are on the cooler side. But if this stock is all in that one tank, you definately are way over stocked.

If 50 gallons = 450 litres the yes I am. The Bow that passed did look like scale loss, but if you look at the pic you can the scales on his look ruffled. This occured shortly after one of my Male Salmons passed for no apparent reason. So wonder if the pecking order amongst the Rainbows was upset...not sure if the male to female ratio applies across species?

AquaLene
09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi Kennedpa

Glad to hear all is well. Has your male boesi's black spot also cleared up?

50G = 189L. Your tank is about 119G - This is a useful little conversion table http://www.asknumbers.com/GallonsToLitersConversion.aspx

kennedpa
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
No it hasnt... I have dosed the tank tonight with sea salt as I suspect ammonia burn from when the stock was in the container while I was setting up their new home. Apparently ammonia spike damage shows up 2 - 3 weeks after the spike. My Bosie has very red swollen gills and now my clown loaches arnt acting themselves either. Dosed the tank with salt, everyone seems happier.

Nitrate and Nitrite 0
Ammonia - 0

Gotta be the spike

AquaLene
09-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Perhaps try give your sick looking fish a more intense short salt bath if they are looking really bad?
Also suggest maybe do another 40% water change to get that ammonia out, and new water in. In my experience with rainbows - the more water changes, the better. :ssmile:

kennedpa
09-07-2009, 08:46 AM
G'day....Bosie 100% ok now...now one of my loaches has chucked a wobbley as per my other thread

mac
09-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Sorry that you are having such problems mate.

Hope all goes well. And great news the Rainbows are better.

mac

kennedpa
09-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeh well I was expecting some probs with the move...just wish they didnt start happenin 3 weeks after the fact...its starting to settle nowthumbs2:

kennedpa
09-13-2009, 07:19 AM
All seems to have settled now....even the clowns are back to their good ol happy selves...