PDA

View Full Version : Need a Snail ID

Garrett
08-29-2009, 12:50 AM
So, I noticed a couple of weeks ago I had a small snail crawling across my tank wall while I was feeding. Given that I hadn't added anything to the tank in at least a week, I was sort of curious as to where it came from, and, moreover, if there were any more.

I haven't noticed any more in the intervening time, and I hadn't in fact noticed the little bugger that started it all in about a week. However, this evening he was out and about again, and significantly bigger than the last time I'd seen him.

I got an okayish picture with him.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OT0HNMzy1wJbaPxD1Hdk_A?feat=directlink

I zoomed in as closely as I could, the lighting in my tank's not especially bright and I've got a bit of leeching from my driftwood going on.

Anyone have any idea what sort of snail this is? Given that I'm not overwhelmed with them in the tank at this point, I figure this one might be the only one, and as long as it's not going to bother the fish in the tank, I don't really mind have one to help with cleanup duty.

Wild Turkey
08-29-2009, 03:12 AM
Pond snail, a common hitchiker

As long as you dont overfeed they wont reproduce very rapidly

Dave66
08-29-2009, 03:22 AM
WT is correct; it's a Physa species pond snail. Very common in aquariums, and great cleaners.

Dave

Garrett
08-29-2009, 04:27 AM
Allrighty, I figured it was something mundane like that. So far, he/she (they're hermaphrodites, right?) is a loner, I think I just picked up a random egg when I was stocking the tank. I'm totally cool with a random snail cleaning the tank, I guess the cories and the shrimp could use some backup. thumbs2:

Kaz
08-29-2009, 05:26 AM
Allrighty, I figured it was something mundane like that. So far, he/she (they're hermaphrodites, right?) is a loner, I think I just picked up a random egg when I was stocking the tank. I'm totally cool with a random snail cleaning the tank, I guess the cories and the shrimp could use some backup. thumbs2:

I believe aquatic snails have genders, or at least some of species of aquatic snails do.

Like it or not, you probably have more than one in there and they will likely reproduce that look kinda cool if you don't have a million of them.

As long as you don't feed excessive amounts they shouldn't become too bad.

I have around 20 in my tank and they are about the size of a pencil tip, several monts ago I swore there was only one snail in there.

I don't think you have too much to worry about though, they clean well and you shouldn't have too bad of an infestation.

bythos
08-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Found one of those in my tank today.