PDA

View Full Version : african mbuna combo's

rangur1
08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
i wish to set up a mixed cyclid tank. species would be red zebra[metriclima estherae], pseudotropheus acei, and rusty cichlid [ iodophoreus sprengerae?]
can't remember THAT latin name. these fish should be good in a 125. with tons of rock. water parameters are no problem , but my questions are;

1-36 to 45 total fish[12-15 of each] about 1.25 to1.5 inches[3-4cm] to allow them to grow from young together.

2- what are possibilities of cross breeding with these species? i am looking to avoid this.
anyone have experiance with these species?

kaybee
08-28-2009, 03:33 PM
The possibility of cross-breeding can be significantly reduced or practically eliminated with adequate gender ratio's.

As long as you have several females per male (per species), crossbreeding shouldn't be an issue. Even at a 1:1 gender ratio (1 male per female), the presence of the female will be the priority to the males of that species.

The fact that all three species belong to different genera further minimizes the chances of them crossbreeding.

Rusties= Iodotropheus sperengerae.

Crispy
08-29-2009, 08:04 AM
They should get along well in such a big tank... good luck!

Not NEW Not OLD
08-29-2009, 12:54 PM
cant wait to see that when its done... sounds lile a good mix rangur1
NNNO

mac
08-30-2009, 05:36 AM
I agree with Keybee. Just get your male to female ration in order, and cross breeding should not be to much of a bother.

Looking forward to pics.

mac