PDA

View Full Version : Friend for my oscar

Juannie
03-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Ok, even though I'm still upset about my synspilum my oscar is looking kind of lonely i his tank. At some stage when I've grieved I'd like to add a friend or 2 he's about 11-12 inches long (so fairly good size) and has a large pleco with him. They'are in a four foot tank 4x18x2 (approx). is there anything else that could be safely put in with him and the pleco??

Severus
03-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I couldnt tell by your dimensions but i take it they are in a 55 gallon because you said 4 foot. If that is the case i wouldnt put anything else in there with him as it will overcrowd your tank. Your Oscar may appear sad but i can promise you he will be just fine without his tankmate. He is a big boy. lol

Fishguy2727
03-29-2007, 12:53 AM
It is 75 (48x18x21). It would be hard to find another fish that will live with an established oscar in his home tank. He may tolerate other bottom feeders though, such as bichirs or Synodontis spp.

Juannie
03-29-2007, 02:43 AM
Thanks for that, is it no good trying silver dollars, convicts or anything similar - or am i really pushing my luck??

Fishguy2727
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Those would be worth a try, especially if the convicts have a good hiding spot out of reach of the oscar (such as PVC pipe).

Juannie
04-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks for that reptileguy - he's been pretty happy this weekend with only him & Mr Pleco, I'll see how he goes - just seems so much lonely tank space for 2 fish.

cocoa_pleco
04-02-2007, 01:23 AM
apparently with oscars if you just sit by their tank and do paperwork or play gameboy they like seeing you sit there.

Juannie
04-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Aren't they cool! Our's is in the dining/living area so see's me all the time and of course he's always begging for food - they're absolutely amazing. Oh well, looks like he's got a big tank all too himself & Mr Pleco. I might try a ping pong ball - see whether he likes it.

Nautilus291
04-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Convicts are hardy fish they should be able to hold there own against your big guy. Theres people online that say they saw a convict win a fight against an oscars 3 timess its size.

Rue
04-02-2007, 10:45 PM
From everything I've read...I think you could manage 3 silver dollars in with your Oscar, if you have the extra filtration and keep up with the water changes...

A1cntrler
04-03-2007, 02:56 AM
My brother has 2 large Oscars in his 125 gal and they get along fairly well with the 3 silver dollars, his Wolf fish (http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/tigrfish.htm) large Pleco and 2 black colored feeder goldfish (For some reason the Oscars and Wolf Fish discriminate against those ones and refuse to eat them...)

deckard_wa
04-03-2007, 01:32 PM
If by 'wolf fish' you mean a dovii, pretty soon that's all that's gonna be in that tank

deckard_wa
04-03-2007, 01:34 PM
OK I just followed the link, not a dovii obviously. That looks like one mean fish though

A1cntrler
04-03-2007, 02:17 PM
He is only about 8" long right now, compared to the Oscars which are huge.

Juannie
04-04-2007, 05:48 AM
That wolf fish is one freaky looking fish, i don't even know if you can get them here in Aussie. I'll seriously look into the convicts and silver dollars, I've had convicts before so I know they're unbelievably tough.

THANKS GUYS HAVE A HAPPY EASTER TOO!

crackatinny
04-04-2007, 07:41 AM
My nephew had a lot of trouble with his convicts actually picking on his oscar once they started breeding, he also had a pair of guarmi with the oscar, these did not pose any problems.

Severus
04-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Oscars in my experience are actually quite peaceful fish. As long as a tankmate isnt small enough to fit into your oscars mouth you really wont have many problems. You might have a little territorial/aggression issues every once in awhile, but for the most part all the Oscars i have had have been VERY tolerant of their tankmates. Silver dollars, gouramis, pleco, 4" bala sharks.

A1cntrler
04-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I had some 6-8" catfish that were tearing up my tank for a while (read uprooting/knocking over everything). I had them for years and they eventually outgrew thier welcome. I figured that my brother has a 125 gal with his oscars/silverdollars in it, why not a few catfish? They lasted about a week. The Oscars looked like they were choking on them, and would swim around for hours with half the fish hanging out of it's mouth.. This was about 3 years ago and the oscars are doing fine still, but no more catfish in thier tank....

Juannie
05-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks everyone, I might have to find some big playmates for him. I can't really add any catfish, I don't think Mr Pleco (who is rather massive) would be very impressed, him and "Red" my oscar already push each other around now.