PDA

View Full Version : Alligator Gar

Arkie
08-28-2009, 04:12 AM
on our pet shop run on the weekend we found a 20cm alligator gar for sale... ive never seen anything like it. they are the weirdest things but oh so cool. the guy at the petshop fed it some feeder fish. the fish was there one sec then gone the next!!! if i had the $380 he wanted for it i would have bought it. anyone have these fish? and if so... how cool are they? hahaha just to make me want one a little bit more :hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
They need a massive tank... one of those fish that should not be for sale unless you have an extraordinary setup. There was an episode of River Monsters showcasing how big and nasty these gars can be!

smaug
08-28-2009, 10:22 PM
These guys get 6 ft real easy.Do you have an abondoned swimming pool to keep him in?

Demjor19
08-29-2009, 09:18 PM
They rarely reach much more than 4 feet in captivity (still huge) and I would need to see pics to even confirm that it is in fact a true gator gar (A. spatula). Every gar in the hobby seems to be called an Alligator gar or some twisted variation of that name.

Arkie - can you get a pic of this fish? They are and awesome fish to keep and I have been doing so for a good number of years. I have kept 5 out of the 7 species of true gar (lepisosteidae).

p.s. good to see ya back!

Arkie
08-30-2009, 01:00 AM
nah no pic as he is in a pet shop a good hours drive away lol. from what i have been reading they do get huge so im steering away from getting one as cool as they are... was one of those passing ideas that are really good at the time! glad i didnt impulse buy this fish!!!!
thanks for your info though guys :22:
p.s its great to be back :l19:

buoy59
02-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Hello,

I am working on a national geographic documentary and i am looking for some one who possibly has a pond/aquarium with alligator gar where we could come and film alligator gar up close under water. If you or anyone you know has this please e-mail me at buoy59@yahoo.com Thanks!

Lukenasia
02-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Hello,

I am working on a national geographic documentary and i am looking for some one who possibly has a pond/aquarium with alligator gar where we could come and film alligator gar up close under water. If you or anyone you know has this please e-mail me at --blank-- Thanks!

It's not a good idea digging up old threads! It would be a better idea start your own thread on this section. I am not clear on the forum policies reguarding these sorts of requests. Better still than asking on the forums you could also ask William (Owner of the website) If he could get in touch with someone he would know from the forum who has one.

Demjor19
02-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Hello,

I am working on a national geographic documentary and i am looking for some one who possibly has a pond/aquarium with alligator gar where we could come and film alligator gar up close under water. If you or anyone you know has this please e-mail me at buoy59@yahoo.com Thanks!

I have contacts im MI that work very closely with Gator gars (I personally do not work with them, as I don't have the space yet)... I don't think they have anything in the size range that you seem to be interested in either. You best bet would probably be to contact some public aquariums/zoos. I do think they would view you going in the tank as a liability though (even though there has never been a (confirmed) documented case of a Gator gar attacking a human).

The best I could do is let you film my Tropical Gar, Florida Gar, and Longnose Gar. Sorry. :11:

cavebear58
06-02-2010, 11:39 PM
when i lived in Virginia Beach I bought a young alligator gar from the local pet shop. I kept him/her in my 55 gal. community tank. I also fed him a LOT of feeder goldfish so he wouldn't eat any of the others. Pretty much a basic set up, neutral PH of about 7. I had tetras, upside down cats, frogmouth chaca chaca a black ghost knife and lots of others. never had problems with anyone not getting along...but I emphasize, i kept the gar well fed. I've known him to eat about 2 dozen in a day. He /she was 3-4 inches when i got him and when I moved about a year later he was 9-10 inches and getting heavy bodied. I didn't want to risk any of them dying because of the move so i took them all back to the shop where i'd bought them. Jay, the great guy that worked there was stunned when he saw how big all my "babies" had gotten. Gars are not hard to keep but I think i'd go for a pond for them, or at least a 125 gal. tank I cannot believe they asked that price...380.00?!!!

Jeddi
06-05-2010, 03:40 AM
when i lived in Virginia Beach I bought a young alligator gar from the local pet shop. I kept him/her in my 55 gal. community tank. I also fed him a LOT of feeder goldfish so he wouldn't eat any of the others. Pretty much a basic set up, neutral PH of about 7. I had tetras, upside down cats, frogmouth chaca chaca a black ghost knife and lots of others. never had problems with anyone not getting along...but I emphasize, i kept the gar well fed. I've known him to eat about 2 dozen in a day. He /she was 3-4 inches when i got him and when I moved about a year later he was 9-10 inches and getting heavy bodied. I didn't want to risk any of them dying because of the move so i took them all back to the shop where i'd bought them. Jay, the great guy that worked there was stunned when he saw how big all my "babies" had gotten. Gars are not hard to keep but I think i'd go for a pond for them, or at least a 125 gal. tank I cannot believe they asked that price...380.00?!!!
Virginia beach!? That's where I am! :hmm3grin2orange: Where'd you see this gar? animal jungle?

Demjor19
06-06-2010, 05:29 AM

I doubt you actually had A. spatula. In one year being fed like you say...a true Aliigator Gar would be well over 24" long and taking down everything in the tank. Not calling you a liar...just misinformed. Gar are a very commonly mislabled fish (they seem to call anything that looks remotely like a gar a "gar"). Do you have any pics of this fish? Just curious.

BTW...this is a pretty old thread.

Wild Turkey
06-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Its an old thread, but this picture says it all about this fish being kept in an aquarium. You couldnt get that thing into a 125g if it was filleted already.

http://www.magikglasses.com/cannibol/abodream/etcimages/gar.jpg

You can keep them in a (very) large pond if you live somewhere where the climate is warm, otherwise they belong in the river where they came from imo.

guitarest
08-08-2010, 07:03 AM
I live in S Miss and I find it really hard to believe someone would have a tank large enough for a real alligator gar; in our area the big ones can be near 100lbs. The largest one I ever caught on hook was 89.5 lbs and he was over 5 foot long and almost 24 inches in girth at his fattest point. They are really cool fish to watch in the wild and I would love to have a tank large enough for a gar to actually enjoy his environment.

OK I'm done.........

Demjor19
08-08-2010, 03:42 PM
I live in S Miss and I find it really hard to believe someone would have a tank large enough for a real alligator gar; in our area the big ones can be near 100lbs. The largest one I ever caught on hook was 89.5 lbs and he was over 5 foot long and almost 24 inches in girth at his fattest point. They are really cool fish to watch in the wild and I would love to have a tank large enough for a gar to actually enjoy his environment.

OK I'm done.........

Wild Alligator Gars and captive raised ones don't seem to grow the the same sizes. Captive raised Alligator Gars seem to max out around 4-5 feet in captivity (still huge), but I have seen a few people on these forums that have suitable tanks for raising them. Certainly not for the average hobbiest, but people do keep them in larg tanks (several thousand gallons). Fortunately they aren't overly available in the hobby. Since i have been keeping fish, I have only seen one true Alligator Gar (Atractosteus spatula) for sale.

Laextreme5
09-17-2012, 12:51 AM
I live in southeast Louisiana and behind my girlfriends house they frequently catch gars, pretty sure it's an alligator gar, if I was I catch a small one, could I potentially keep it and put it in a tank? This is all hypothetical but I was just curious

Zander
09-17-2012, 01:00 AM
I live in southeast Louisiana and behind my girlfriends house they frequently catch gars, pretty sure it's an alligator gar, if I was I catch a small one, could I potentially keep it and put it in a tank? This is all hypothetical but I was just curious

Depending on how large your tank is, you might be able to keep a small one for a fairly short period of time. And then when it gets too big release it.

However I would steer you towards getting a type of gar that remains a size you could feasibly keep its whole life, like a Needle Nose Gar.

Crispy
09-17-2012, 12:25 PM
this thread was started 3 years ago. :ssuprised: