PDA

View Full Version : Temperature induced bacterial bloom?

PostalPenguin
08-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Can high temperatures cause a bacterial bloom in a tank?

I came home to see my 29g cloudy like someone dumped a glass of milk into it. I thought my filter had crapped out but everything was running fine. Then I noticed the tank was at 84. I dumped a lot of ice into the tank which cooled it down to 80.

Could the cloudiness be from the high temps? My 20g at 84 as well is still crystal clear.

fraggle
08-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Hmm, the only thing that I could think is that the higher temp creates quicker multiplication of the bacteria and if there was sudden access to a source of ammonia (are you missing any fish or anything?) they have bloomed with added food and better reproducing environment.

rangur1
08-28-2009, 12:16 AM
your tanks are running a little warm is it possible to bring temps down to 78-80? if so, do it very slowly. like 1 degree a day.

as for the cloud - its a bacterial bloom caused by either high nitrates or phosphates. not a dangerous problem , water changes should help with that.

DrNic
08-28-2009, 03:41 AM
I doubt that the cloudiness is from the heat. Usually bacteria are ok into the 90*F range. It's high but they can handle the heat.

Have you taken a headcount? The heat may have killed one or more of your fish which, while decaying, could be clouding the water.

Little Embers
08-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Fluctuations in temperature may cause a bacterial bloom but it usually is if the temp. is fluctuating constantly over time...I don't think just a one off occurrence would cause a b.b.

PostalPenguin
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
All fish are present. Ammonia is at 0. None of the fish showed stress. UV sterilizer will burn off the bacterial bloom soon enough but today is water change day anyways.