PDA

View Full Version : Electric blue rams

BirdOfPray
08-27-2009, 08:05 PM
I know a couple of folks on here had talked about getting the electric blue rams, and was just wondering if anyone did get them what your experience has been. I suppose in theory they shouldn't be any different than the "normal" ones, but sometimes the selective breeding seems to make a difference one way or another for overall hardiness or other things. Any thoughts?

I'll probably wind up getting just a plain GBR (for half the price!), but they had the electrics in again this week and I can't help but think they'd look pretty flashy with a school of cardinals.

DrNic
08-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I've seen german blue, and yellow rams but I wasn't aware that electric blue rams were available.

I know there are electric blue jack dempsy but those are much larger than rams.

sandypants
08-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I'd say go with the electrics! Never seen them. Would be cool to have something so unique (and bright) in your aquarium! And yes would look good with cardnials.
:fish:

BirdOfPray
08-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Here are some photos I found via a quick Google search: http://www.aquascapeonline.com/prodView.asp?idProduct=492&item=Electric%20Blue%20Ram%202.5

The ones at the LFS actually look a lot brighter and more vibrant than that, even at a small size... but I don't see any really good photos out there. Mostly I was wondering if, since they're obviously captive bred, they might be a little hardier. Or maybe, being line bred or mass-produced or whatever, they're actually more sensitive. I really like the traditional coloring, but these guys are pretty eye-catching as well.

sandypants
08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Those are sweet! Are you still doing just one male? My "regular" male only shows his colors some times. He has stripes and a red eye which are cool but I like COLOR. Depending on how he moves you just see little flecks of blue- which is pretty but he also blends in pretty well. I wouldn't say he's boring by far but he does blend in. The blue would def. stand out.

Do you have room for a pair? After I got the GBR (which I know, I only have room for one :scry: ) I saw the gold rams the next week and love the coloring on them. The girl at my LFS has rams and said if I DID get a pair I could get a gold, the male "wouldn't know the difference." SO if you did get a male and female get one of each... just a thought!

EddyC
08-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I've never really experienced any difference between the color morphs and the "regular" variety in terms of hardiness and whatnot. That being said, I've only temporarily housed the other two colors (for six months). I prefer the normal color form. Much more interesting pattern, at half the price. The friend who kept the fish (and had a difficult time moving so had me babysit) said that she found them to be more sensitive to water conditions, and they seemed to die earlier. That's the only account I've heard one way or another.

If you want to get the electrics, and can afford it, then go for it. They would definitely make an interesting addition to the tank. And, as Sandypants said, the color morphs can interbreed, so you can have the best of both worlds!

KingFisher
08-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I have an electric blue ram along with a gold ram in my 29g. Their behavior is identical to the regular GBRs as far as I can tell. They seem to show signs of pairing, so I am really hoping they spawn. I'm interested to see what the offspring will turn out like.

octoxpuss
08-27-2009, 11:27 PM
My lfs sells they electric blue rams

Northernguy
08-27-2009, 11:31 PM
That is a nice looking ram.
I am more partial to the GBRs though!:22:

robflanker
08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
My lfs sells they electric blue rams

Awesome... Mine too...The German kind as well...

Anyways... how much are the electric blue? i always saw them to be waaay more than the GBRs and I wasnt prepared to pay the difference

Algenco
08-28-2009, 01:57 AM
I 've bought a total of 7 @ $20 ea, 1 died before I got home, 2 more the next day.
The remaining 4 are doing fine and have spawned

BirdOfPray
08-28-2009, 02:02 AM
The electric blues run $30 at my LFS, and the GBRs and Bolivians are $15. Not sure I've seen the gold rams there. I'm pretty certain I'll stick with a GBR or possibly a Bolivian (still wavering), but the electric blue rams really had some nice color when I was in there today and I couldn't help but ogle for a minute.

octoxpuss
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
At my lfs the electric blue rams run about 17 and the Germans run 8

Lab_Rat
08-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I have to say I do prefer the bolivians over the GBR. They are a much hardier fish and I think they're gorgeous (not quite as flashy as GBR but as they mature they color up nicely).

thatcichlidguy
08-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I've been tempted to try my hand at the EBRs , but cant justify it at the moment. When it becomes a little more reasonable to set up another tank though I'm gonna be on it. The stores locally that are selling them seem to be carrying all males, which leads me to suspect an asian breeder origin. However that could just push me to try some strain crossing. Say EBR X GBR. Could make for an interesting combo.