PDA

View Full Version : Can a red-blothced river stingray keep with a red-tailed shark or black ghostknife?

b-man
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
just wondering if it can be done before i buy the fish. please respond.

Red
08-27-2009, 12:11 PM
What size tank?

Little Embers
08-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I have no experience with them, but this link may help until someone else can advise you.

It recommends not to keep them with territorial fish, so I would not advise keeping it with a red-tailed shark.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/potamotrygonocellata.php

EDIT: Looks like Red and I posted at the same time LOL!

b-man
08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
It is a 4ft tank. yeah the red tailed shark is my main concern but i was hoping there would be enough room for them both.

robflanker
08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
4ft by what by what.

If its an inch deep, than I think you know you answer. But the biggest 48' long regular sized tank is 110 gallons and you answer will still be no.

b-man
08-27-2009, 12:46 PM
the tank size is 4ft x 1.5ft. there are plenty of places for the fish to hide. do you think it could work?

robflanker
08-27-2009, 12:51 PM
the tank size is 4ft x 1.5ft. there are plenty of places for the fish to hide. do you think it could work?

No because based on this, the largest your tank could possibly be is 90 gallons. Could you give us all 3 dimensions?

Either way, the answer is no you can't - sorry

b-man
08-27-2009, 01:02 PM
well i think might give it a try (no offence) as this particular species of stingray only has a maximum diameter of 20cm so i think it will have enoug room and the shark is only small

robflanker
08-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm not offended, but why even ask for advice if you are going to do it anyways?

You should always stock your tank with what your fish will become, not what they are.

Your shark will get too big for whatever size tank you have, and the stingray is just a bad idea

b-man
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
just getting a general opinion, well maybe but i can always get a bigger tank when they get bigger.

robflanker
08-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Again, get fish for the tank you have, not the tank you might have

Plus, even when other ppl come in here and say no, you are still going to do it anyways, so you arent really looking for a general opinion

you are telling us what you are doing, not asking for advice

Wiggs
08-27-2009, 01:34 PM
remember that just because a fish can fit in a tank, doesnt make it the best idea to do.

robflanker
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
So here are some useful links;
Red-tailed shark
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/mix/redtailsharks.php

Black ghost-knife
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/blackghostknife.php

Dont know much about the stingray but if your RT shark is small, its likely it will become lunch for the ghostknife

Demjor19
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
No stingray should be housed in less than a 6x2x2 IMO. They also create an extremely heavy bioload on a tank.

You said you have a 4' tank...55gal, 75gal, 90gal, etc? It does make a difference. Saying you have a 4' tank really means nothing...

Kaz
08-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure which stinray it is but I know there is one type that doesn't get too big and can be kept in a 90g+.

As for the other fish, you're on your own there.

Demjor19
08-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I guess I stand corrected on the Ray...as long as the tank is at least a 4L x 18W.

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=57154

tori.lock
08-27-2009, 05:56 PM
I really know nothing about any of these specific fish, but I can say that no matter what species it is, do not put a fish in a tank that will not house it properly for its entire life, unless you have another one already set up. This is like buying a puppy and keeping it in an apartment with no outdoor access and planning on buying a bigger house for when it gets older. Might happen, might not. No reason to take a chance on it because it will only cause problems for you and stress/illness/death for the fish.

b-man
08-28-2009, 05:47 AM
forget the tank size, they will fit, that's is not what i was asking, i was asking about red-shark compatibility with a stingray. can anyone speak from experience?

Little Embers
08-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Years ago I had a red tail shark for a short time, I have not kept them with stingrays so on that note I have no experience...Because of the sharks aggressive temperament and from all I have also read about them, as well as using some common sense/judgement in relation to compatibility, I would NOT keep them together b-man.....that would be my advice!

robflanker
08-28-2009, 10:33 AM
forget the tank size, they will fit, that's is not what i was asking, i was asking about red-shark compatibility with a stingray. can anyone speak from experience?

Thats like locking a lion and a tiger in a closet and asking if they will be friends.... them getting along is an issue yes, but there is the issue of it being an inappropriate home too

iZinedane
08-28-2009, 10:41 AM

IMO tank size always matters.

b-man
08-28-2009, 11:02 AM
i want to know if the red-tail sharks have been known to attack stingrays. or if anyone has had experience keeping stingrays with similar fish what is your advice?

Crispy
08-28-2009, 11:26 AM
No, red tail sharks and rays do not mix well. One of them will most likely be killed by the other. I wouldn't risk losing a nice ray because of a rt shark.

Sharon
08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Knock it off guys!

Lady Hobbs
08-28-2009, 01:30 PM
b-man, read your private PM.

gm72
08-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Let's be clear on a few things.
1. Arguing and flaming are NOT allowed. Great way to get a formal warning or a ban though if you are into that kind of thing.
2. If is not a matter of whether or not fish will "fit" in a tank. I'm sure I could "fit" some of our members in a cedar chest but it wouldn't work out too well I don't think.
3. If you come here and ask questions and get consistent feedback about a topic and you fail to take the advice, YOU are the one with the problem.

Thread closed.