PDA

View Full Version : Penguin Biowheel Filter sits too low..

Bur01014
08-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Hey all, when I bought a used 55 gal, I basically already had filters for the tank. (AC 70, AC 30, etc.) However, the guy threw in with the tank a Penguin biowheel 200. Decided to clean it up today and see if it even worked. Then I thought extra filtration couldn't be a bad thing, threw it on my 55. Anyways, it seems to sit lower than my other filters. Where the water flows out, that lip sits in the water. Is this wrong? Should I lower my water level? (tons of current from other filters will occur though) Perhaps, I should shim it up somehow....or maybe it is supposed to touch the water....I have no manual or anything. Anyone with any experience with these filters? Thanks

jaysee
08-27-2009, 04:52 AM
As far as I know it's fine for the spillway to be below the waterline.

I have 2 penguin 200s that are in my extra filter box....

rangur1
08-27-2009, 09:55 AM
the penquin oxygenates the water as it tumbles over the wheel, not by agitating the surface. i would not worry.

DrNic
08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I run penguin filters on all my tanks. The new series of filters 200/300/350 have spillways under the water to try and keep noise down. In the older versions which I also used, the spillway arced down, but there was no lip so it could get rather noisy. The new lip helps keep the noise down a bit. If you care there is a sweet spot where the output will be dead silent. Leave your filter on while you refill your tank slowly to find it.

I've always been a fan of penguin filters. I have 2 old 170 units that are at least 7 years old and still work fine. The got retired because of a tank upgrade but I still pull the out from time to time on backup tanks.

bushwhacker
08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
i run a penq 350 and an emp 400 on my tanks i like to keep the water levels high so i dont get the splashing they are great filters

Lady Hobbs
08-27-2009, 05:50 PM
It's just fine. You don't want splash. As long as the surface is moving about it's doing what it should be doing.