PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Green Severums

Drumachine09
03-28-2007, 02:17 AM
I recently purchased two green severums for my 55 gallon tank. I think it would be cool if i could breed them, but i dont even know if i got a matched pair, as i dont know how to sex them. The only thing i have read about sexing them is about some sort of squiggles on their head, of which mine have none. Any help is apreciated.

I have attactched a pic of both of them.

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Nice fish. You may not be able to tell until they're older and more coloration appears but the male will have a more pointed fin.

Rue
03-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Did you buy them today? They're cute!

sanddigger
03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Nice looking severums Drumachine!

Drumachine09
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Nice fish. You may not be able to tell until they're older and more coloration appears but the male will have a more pointed fin.

Dorsal, pectoral, anal, or other?

Lady Hobbs
03-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Dorsal should be longer and more spicky and he should be larger than her.

A rather round fish, not elongated very much, with strong Lateral compression. Small mouth and the nose and forehead are steep, much like the Discus (http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile14.html). The soft part of the Dorsal and Anal fins are long and pointed and in the male the Anal fin reaches to the rounded edge of the Caudal (tail) fin. The Dorsal and Anal fins are shorter in the Female. The Ventral (side) fins in both sexes are elongated. The Severum can reach a size of almost eight inches.

Drumachine09
03-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Dorsal should be longer and more spicky and he should be larger than her.

A rather round fish, not elongated very much, with strong Lateral compression. Small mouth and the nose and forehead are steep, much like the Discus (http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile14.html). The soft part of the Dorsal and Anal fins are long and pointed and in the male the Anal fin reaches to the rounded edge of the Caudal (tail) fin. The Dorsal and Anal fins are shorter in the Female. The Ventral (side) fins in both sexes are elongated. The Severum can reach a size of almost eight inches.

Well, looks like im going to have to let these little fishys grow before i can sex them. they are only 3 and 4 inches.