PDA

View Full Version : What to do???

mac
08-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Hey guys,

Since my Neolamprologus leleupi have just spawned, what is the best thing to do?

They are in my 83g, which has 5 J. Marlie. 3 T. Duboisis. And 3 Neolamprologus leleupi, 2 of which have spawned. 2 Synods.

So if I am wanting the 1/1/2 ish week old fry to survive, what would be my best move? Also how would I feed them?

Cheers,
mac

rangur1
08-26-2009, 09:52 AM
a separate tank , and crushed flake and baby brine shrimp . if this is to difficult right now then you are left with nature taking it's course. good luck

sailor
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
If I want to raise any fry from my breeding african cichlids I always use an extra tank as a nursey tank. I always have a big air driven sponge filter going in one of my tanks to use as a seeded filter when I need it. When I see I have a fish holding I wait a week to 10 days to ensure she is indeed holding.
I take water out of the tank she is in and fill my 15 gal nursery tank. Put in the seeded sponge filter, a heater and a hollow type stump decoration big enough for her to hide in. I catch her and place the nursery tank. I don't use any substrate of any sort. Once she has held the fry long enough to release them I keep her in the tank for about a week. Feeding her her regular NLS. I start feeding the fry NLS growth formula that I place in a new pepper mill. It gets it fine enough for the fry to eat. Once the female has regained her strength I change up the decorations a bit in the tank she origionaly came out of and put her back in. I keep the nursery tank bare bottom as it is easier to do water changes 3-4 times a week as the fry get fed 3-4 times a day. I have been using this system for all my cichlids and found that it works very well.

mac
08-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys for the help. The only trouble is I doubt I can or could get the fry out of the main tank. Till they are 2-5cm long.

Just a dangerous. Anyway they are feeding on what you guys suggest. Thanks,

mac

sanddigger
08-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Wait until they are big enough to net them out. You'll just have to take the tank apart and retrieve the fry and put them in another tank. I had a spare 29gal. for this purpose a while ago.

mac
08-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Yea i will just have to wait a bit. No way I can do it now. And I need to do it, some of the caves need to be bigger for my cat fish.

mac

hybridguy
10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Sailor is right on the money, everything he said is correct:19: