PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get good quality goldfish?

rainbow_trout
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I live in Baltimore, and plan to have several goldfish.

I have driven around all the pet fish stores in Baltimore area, however, haven't found any carrying goldfish with good quality. I wonder if anybody knows a good goldfish breeder or retail in Maryland area within 2 hour drive?

Many thanks!

DW

Northernguy
08-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
That is the very first time I have heard that question!thumbs2:
Are you stocking a pond or do you have a tank set up for them?
A member named Fishguy will probably have a good idea.There are a few members here that will hopefully have a few suggestions for you.
You can't find any in the Baltimore area? Whats wrong with the ones you have seen?

smaug
08-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Tha fis place in lancaster pa carries a good asst of goldys.I dont know what your parameters for quality are though.I have a mess of koi/comet fingerlings you could have for free:help:

rainbow_trout
08-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Thank you for your reply!

I came from China, so used to have different type of goldfish in my tank when I was a kid. I have been to US for almost 10 years. Currently, I am a student living in apt, so only have a tank. Of course, a pond with koi is my dream and the motivation to study hard :-)

I really want to have several goldfish with good body shape and color pattern, since I can only have 3-4 in my tank. I can find goldfish in every local stores, however, very hard to find a good one. They are kind of mix, not pure. One store carries some imported goldfish, but the fish is not healthy.

rainbow_trout
08-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Tha fis place in lancaster pa carries a good asst of goldys.I dont know what your parameters for quality are though.I have a mess of koi/comet fingerlings you could have for free:help:

Thanks!

Just for example,

Ryukin is very popular, I can find in petsmart and other stores. But none of them have height of the body equal to the length of body. We should also see a curve behind the head, like this picture.
http://www.your-goldfish.com/ryukin-goldfish.html

smaug
08-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Gotcha.Thx for the example.

mikeonthebike
08-29-2009, 07:53 PM
I started to make mine from them and my fish love it. I stopped feeding commercial food. I feed mine frozen shrimp and frozen blood worms and fresh veggies cooked a little. I gave you a link for the gel food. I use to feed my Oranda hikari sinking pellets and every time I do he started to float sideways a bit so when I changed him to gel he floats no more.

http://thegoldfishandaquariumboard.yuku.com/topic/977/t/Gel-Food-Recipes.html?page=1