PDA

View Full Version : Snails...

SouthernGal0682
03-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I have already removed 2 snails from my tank, and today I saw one that is at least 3 times the size of the first two. I was about to send him packing too untill I noticed that he was eating the algae off the back of my tank. Are they really terrible for my plants? Is it true that they will eat them or will they stick to algae?

Chrona
03-27-2007, 09:09 PM
It depends on the type of snail. Try to post a pic or see if you can ID them. Some snails are destructive, while others will only eat dead or dying plants. In any case though, they will multiply very quickly and take over your tank if you overfeed and still multiple even if you don't. Most often, you'll see people asking for malaysian trumpet snails for their planted tank, as they dig around the substrate and aerate it, but not all snails will be as benign.

sergo
03-27-2007, 09:12 PM
i had some snails for a little while and they never did any damage to my plant as they were either on the glass or rocks. i got to little yoyo loaches and they got rid of all of them in less than 3 days. they are incredible!
if you don't have too many i wouldn't bother with them but if they start to get out of control (and they will) i suggest maybe just 1 yoyo loach to keep them under control.
i get weird looks from from my lfs guys when i ask if i can have some snails out of their plant tanks. then i tell them why :)

*Sarah*
03-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm having a bit of snail trouble myself. Started with 1, now there are tons of tiny little baby ones all over the place. I'm not too worried about it though, I just squish the little ones, and eventually will get something that feeds on them :)

Incredulous_Ed
03-28-2007, 04:16 AM
There are tiny 1 cm snails in 2 of my tanks. Not a problem since they are so small, and they clean up all the excess food in the breeding tank.

SouthernGal0682
03-28-2007, 10:23 PM
It disappeared! My husband fished (haha, no pun intended) around in the tank trying to catch the snail and it got up under a rock and I haven't seen it since them. I was going to take a picture. Oh well...If it comes around again I'll grab the camera. I haven't noticed any holes or torn edges on my plants, so I'm thinking they aren't being eaten.

xoolooxunny
03-28-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm having a bit of snail trouble myself. Started with 1, now there are tons of tiny little baby ones all over the place. I'm not too worried about it though, I just squish the little ones, and eventually will get something that feeds on them :)

crush too many of those little buggers and the shells might start to increase your ph, thats what shells do right?

Chrona
03-28-2007, 11:24 PM
crush too many of those little buggers and the shells might start to increase your ph, thats what shells do right?

Snails pull the calcium for their shells out of the water, so they would just return what they took out.

SouthernGal0682
04-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Finally got a pic! Its big enough now that my camera will (semi) focus on it! This is the only snail I have seen in my tank in about a week. I haven't seen that it is causing any damage to my plants. Should he stay or go?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/SouthernGal0682/DSC00895.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/SouthernGal0682/DSC00891.jpg

xoolooxunny
04-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I say get him out! There are probly others that you dont see, so keep taking them out, and get some of those brackish breeding olive netrite snails. I think that's what they're called...

Chrona
04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Looks like a pond snail to me. Those are known to be one of the most destructive types of snails, but some people have managed to keep them without getting their plants eaten (usually involves feeding the snails combined with weekly removals though)

kimmers318
04-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Those snails will breed like crazy so unless you have room for something that likes to munch snails, or want to manually remove them regularly get started now getting them out! Just send them to me and I will let my puffers eat them:hmm3grin2orange:

SouthernGal0682
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Those snails will breed like crazy so unless you have room for something that likes to munch snails, or want to manually remove them regularly get started now getting them out! Just send them to me and I will let my puffers eat them:hmm3grin2orange:

This one looks pretty big too so I'm sure it would make a juicy snack...Anyway, I will get rid of him today as soon as I find him again.