PDA

View Full Version : breeding discus

eric
08-25-2009, 06:47 AM
hi i have a pair of breeding discus that the female lays the eggs, the male looks like he fertilizes and after 48 hours the eggs dissapear . am i doing something wrong ?

Red
08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
What are the other tank mates in the tank?

octoxpuss
08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
How long are they a pair? If they are young it may take a while before they get the hang of it. Do u sit and stair at the eggs? They could just trying to hide them from u. And also like Red questioned what r the other tankmates

Northernguy
08-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
How long have you had them?
Can you tell us about your tank!

Discus_Dude
11-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Generally speaking it takes a newly formed pair a while to get it right. If the female is laying eggs for the first time, it's not uncommon for her to eat the eggs.

More information about your tank and your pair as the others have suggested above would be helpful.

DrNic
11-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Sounds like the parents, or some other fish (?) in the tank is eating the eggs. It's pretty common for new parents. You can see similar behavior in angelfish.

Your options are to separate the eggs from the parents (and other fish?) after they are laid, or just continue to let them lay and hope they get better.

plark
11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Hello Eric,
My guess would be you have to much current in your tank, next time you see them getting ready to spawn try only running a sponge filter with bubbles, turn of any hang on the back or canister filter. If your already using a sponge filter my guess would be either another fish is eating them or they are not fertile and the parents are eating them.