PDA

View Full Version : Sick Pangasius anyone?

roulfi004
03-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Pangasius Catfish (or Shark Catfish): lovely fish with shark-like appearance, and constantly on the move everywhere

Anyone knows how best to keep the pangasius catfish, who has experience raising a couple? Why they die so fast?

I love the Pangasius catfish, but unfortunately, because im new to fishkeeping:
- I bought 2, they both died from diseases, while other fish were fine
- They panic worse than donald duck in his worst days, and can beat the Roadrunner anyday on those crazy moments
- They are most difficult fish to catch with a net
- They fake dead when after they panic... thank god mine were only tiny fish, i hate to see a 3feet long pangasius panicking

Anyone else love them because of their shark appearance?

And is there any other catfish that looks alot like them and is yeat easy to keep?

roulfi004
03-27-2007, 08:30 PM
I love the Pangasius catfish, but unfortunately, because im new to fishkeeping:
- I bought 2, they both died from diseases, while other fish were fine
- They panic worse than donald duck in his worst days, and can beat the Roadrunner anyday on those crazy moments
- They are most difficult fish to catch with a net

1 fish got 2 dark 1mm buttons on his belly, and a similar red one on his tail. He was around 10 cm in legth and died pretty fast afterwards

The other, was around 13 cm in length, and got 1 or 2 white buttons (similar to a human moskito bite, but with a white instead of a red tip):
Strangely, when i took him out to quarantine, the white tip disappeared, and i thought he was recovering, but then, i put him back to the tank and he got 2 instead of 1 white button.
Later on the white disappeared, and it looked like a hole, with some red surroundings.
A few days ago he burst like crazy for no reason and died instantly...

Any idea anyone on what that was?

I tried Omnipur and Costapur from SERA (bacterial, fungus, parasite and ich medicine i think, with no luck)

Lady Hobbs
03-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Have you read anything about cycling a tank? I just wonder if the tank had been cycled prior to putting them in or if you cycle the tank with them? Fish often suffer from lasting effects if they went thru the cycling process.

Do regular water changes and you should no problem with disease or ill fish.