PDA

View Full Version : Pale Spot on Halfmoon's Head?

Juniper
08-25-2009, 03:23 AM
My male mustardgas HM has a spot on his head that is sort of yellowy-colored (the rest of his body is pale purple). It isn't raised or "fuzzy" and it doesn't look like fungus-- if anything, it looks like he's lost scales there.

For the sake of complete details: "Lilac" is about a year and a half old and I've had him since he was three months old. He lives in a 3 gallon planted tank without any other fish. Nitrate levels are at 12 ppm, no detectable ammonia, no salt. I haven't changed anything about his diet or his tank set-up recently. He gets 75% water-changes every other week. He eats commercial pellets plus frozen brine shrimp once a week and guppy fry occasionally. There are no abrasive ornaments in his tank-- just plants, substrate, and a few smooth rocks.

Any guesses about what could be wrong with him? His only other health-problem is that he sometimes nips his own fins when he's anxious (this is usually solved by me moving his tank or switching his plants around).

Also-- he has NEVER built bubble-nests. I still can't understand why. Maybe this should have been my first sign that there was something wrong. :(

geminidragn
08-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Not building a bubble nest is not a sign of anything going wrong. Some males just don't do it. I have one that has never built one either.

Is the spot on his head between his eyes on what would be his forehead?
Take a very close look and see if it looks kind of like a bubble. Does it?

I am not sure what it is but I had one that mysterious showed up--one day it was not there and the next day it was there. I tried everything--Melafix etc. nothing helped. I am sad to say that he did not live very long after the spot showed up. I wish I could help but at least I am preparing you for the worst.

I hope you figure it out and help him recover. Good luck!!!

Northernguy
08-25-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure what it is either. Keep an eye on it and if its get worse than treat it.Hopefully you will have a better idea tomorrow.
I used betta fix for my betta when it got fungus.

whisper
08-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Could it just be an injury of some kind?

Juniper
08-25-2009, 05:05 AM
I've never had a male that didn't build a bubble nest. Thanks for reassuring me that it's not that abnormal.

The spot is on the side of his head, like right above his gill. It doesn't look like a bubble-- just like falling-off scales.

I just went to check on him and he's been chewing his tail again (definitely not fin rot). I wonder if he's hurt himself flaring at his neighbors-- a pair of dwarf gourami on one side and a puffer on the other. I put them all near each other so they can keep each other occupied, but maybe it's making things worse.

I've tried stress-coat and it hasn't helped much. He's not behaving abnormally, just not quite as active as usual. His last water-change was yesterday.