PDA

View Full Version : Future Fish Stock... advice?

jscurrier
08-24-2009, 11:16 PM
I have been giving thought to what, if any, fish i may add to the new tank I'll be getting next month. It's going to be a 150g (artificial, not planted) tank. The fish I have now are 2 Senegal Bichirs, 2 Pictus Cats and a BN Pleco. I was thinking of something that could live "mid level" or top as the fish I have now are bottom dwellers. I posted this here because I was thinking of Chiclids, perhaps.... but would like some input from the pro's..

Now, I'm not picking the tank up until Sept. 30th and it will need time to cycle, but I thought I would get some research/homework done first. Thanks

rich311k
08-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Sounds like a nice tank. I would suggest a larger barb or silver dollars.

jscurrier
08-24-2009, 11:36 PM
didn't think to mention... I have a fluval FX5 and AC110 inside the tank/stand, as well as some fancy dancy day/night cycle light system. Was initially going to go live plants, but changed my mind. In case the filtration is a factor in the suggestions.

Sharon
08-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Congo Tetras would be nice...of course, they'd have to be fairly big.:ssmile:

jscurrier
08-24-2009, 11:45 PM
im a fan of the electric blue and fire chiclids.... are they a no-go? I saw a beautiful electric blue today for only $14.95... obviously wont be there by the time I stock.. but I would be willing to wait for a fish like that.

Lab_Rat
08-25-2009, 03:09 AM
If the Electric blue you saw is the electric blue ahli then he needs to go into a peacock tank, which you could certainly do with at tank that size. That would be awesome but I wouldn't put the pictus in there, and I don't know if the bichirs would be ok.

jscurrier
08-25-2009, 01:23 PM
The bichirs and pictus come first of course. They are the whole reason I'm getting the tank, so they will have plenty of room. Sounds like chiclids wont work in this tank.

octoxpuss
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Ha i doubt it. I would honestly say maybe get a great school of some type of tetra (ur preference) IMO i would go with something like Congo or silver tip tetras they are small but fun to watch.

rich311k
08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Most cichlids like the bottom and you have that covered. I would look at mid water schoolers.

jscurrier
08-27-2009, 04:29 AM
I have decided to get a group/school of Congo Tetras when the time comes. Thanks for the suggestion. How many can I get comfortably? I was thinking 8-10....