PDA

View Full Version : moving my aquarium

Vladimir
08-24-2009, 05:53 PM
hey AC, i got 1 request. in a week i am going to be moving back to kitchener near my college and its about 1 to 1.5 hour drive. so i am just asking for suggestions and comments about "HOW to move my fish tank, with the LEAST stress for the fish". like should i put all the fish in 1 big container and then seal it off, or each fish in its own little container? i want to know whats the LEAST stressful (for the fish) way to move my 10G aquarium.
any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance,

Vlad

KingFisher
08-24-2009, 05:59 PM
The easiest way would just be to put everything from the tank in a 10 gallon tote with a battery operated airstone and the filter media and just put it all back in the tank as soon as you reach your destination. A lid will make it dark in the tote so the fish stay calm and also prevent the water from sloshing out. I would leave the substrate in the tank but nothing else.

Vladimir
08-24-2009, 06:50 PM
The easiest way would just be to put everything from the tank in a 10 gallon tote with a battery operated airstone and the filter media and just put it all back in the tank as soon as you reach your destination. A lid will make it dark in the tote so the fish stay calm and also prevent the water from sloshing out. I would leave the substrate in the tank but nothing else.

thats the thing KingFisher, i can find a 10G tote, but i dont have any battery powered airstones or a filter. will they suffocate and die if i dont have any aeration for them for about 1hour drive?

KingFisher
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
No, they will be fine for an hour. the movement of the water from being in a moving vehicle should be plenty to keep the water agitated for gas exchange.

VoidParadigm
08-24-2009, 07:25 PM
The goldfish in my pond were bought two hours away from us and were just double-bagged by the guy at the store for the ride home.

Besides that, consider what mail-order fish have to go through sometimes to get to people.

Just throwing some experience with long drives + fish, to ease your mind about it. =]

Vladimir
08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
thanks again guys,
that makes me feel better, just the fact that they should be fine. i think i'm going to either put them in a tote like King said, or just put them in bags (filled 2/3 or so) so that the air in the bags can keep them satisfied. and i'm also going to empty my aquarium of all the stuff (maybe except the gravel) just so it doesn't give me leaking problems in the future.
and just to clarify: the fish should be in a dark place (no light like in a box or something enclosed) so they're not stressed right?

sincerely,

Vlad

VoidParadigm
08-24-2009, 09:16 PM
A lack of light, even if it's just a towel draped over to dim it, should help, IMO.

Vladimir
08-24-2009, 09:22 PM
thanks again guys,
that makes me feel better, just the fact that they should be fine. i think i'm going to either put them in a tote like King said, or just put them in bags (filled 2/3 or so) so that the air in the bags can keep them satisfied. and i'm also going to empty my aquarium of all the stuff (maybe except the gravel) just so it doesn't give me leaking problems in the future.
and just to clarify: the fish should be in a dark place (no light like in a box or something enclosed) so they're not stressed right?

sincerely,

Vlad

bushwhacker
08-24-2009, 09:26 PM
a little 10 gallon , id drain it about 2/3rds down and move it fish and all

Demjor19
08-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Moving a 10 will be very easy. just take the advice from above and all should go well! Good luck!

Northernguy
08-25-2009, 04:22 AM
Fish can last a long time like that!
I have had an 8hr drive with fish in a bag.I just acclimated them slowly.

Demjor19
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Fish can last a long time like that!
I have had an 8hr drive with fish in a bag.I just acclimated them slowly.

very true...think about when fish are shipped. They are sometimes in bags for a few days even.