PDA

View Full Version : Onion plant

DrNic
08-24-2009, 02:58 PM
I picked up a pack of mixed bulbs a while ago. I got a few apons and for the first time an onion plant. Having never grown these before I've been interested to watch it grow. It's gotten rather large over the months, but is this all the plant will do? Do these plants send out runners or any kind of stem/flower like apons and lillies?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/drnic2032/AC%20Photos/onionplant.jpg

Lady Hobbs
08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
You won't want those in the front of the tank Nic. They get pretty tall. Good plant for silver dollar tanks. They won't eat 'em. The bulbs will get bigger and send up more leaves from that. Like a tulip.

DrNic
08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
At the moment it's in the front in order to maximize light exposure for growth in the young plant. Now that it's established I'll probably move it to one of the corners or something.

Will this plant send up any kind of stem or flowers?

Deleted User
08-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Nic

Read this thread I posted a while ago.

Dave66 gave some great info. :ssmile:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36135

Onion plants produce little plantlets on the bulb of the parent plant. I have a pic of one of mine doing just that a while ago. I will see if I can find it to show you.:ssmile:

Neon
08-24-2009, 03:41 PM
talking about a real edible onion or some aquatic plant with same name? sorry but I get confused with aquatic plants.

by the way , being a novice , I didn't remove rockwool around some of my plants , I have tried lately but i couldn't because of the roots growth . So have decided to leave them alone since they look in great form and thriving.

Deleted User
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Ok here is the pic Nic.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt197/riftlakepics/1aonion.jpg

Deleted User
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=Neon]talking about a real edible onion or some aquatic plant with same name? sorry but I get confused with aquatic plants. [/QUOTE ]

This is an aquatic plant called an onion plant becuse of the way it looks like an onion.

It is infact a member of the lilly family and there fore the bulbs to eat would be very poisonus to humans and may be one of the reasons most fish won't eat them either.

Latin name for it is Crinum thaianum

Hope that helps :ssmile:

Neon
08-24-2009, 03:52 PM
thank you ...I was almost thinking of planting my garden onions in the tank...silly-beginner

DrNic
08-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the photo Fins! Now I know what to look for.

Neon, don't go planting onions in your tank, that would be bad :hmm3grin2orange:

DrNic
08-24-2009, 04:00 PM
The one strange thing I noticed about this plant was that the roots like to grow up instead of out. I have the plant in a mound of about 1.5 inches of gravel. When the roots hit the bottom of the tank instead of growing out, they 'bounced' off the started to grow back to the top. You can actually see them sticking out of the gravel.

It's a weird little plant but very pretty.

Deleted User
08-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I was just having a good look at your pic Nic & I think you may have yours burried a little too deep. It only needs to be buried at the bottom 1/3 rd of the bulb or it rots.

Glad I could help:ssmile:

DrNic
08-24-2009, 04:27 PM
In that pic I think I only have about 1/2 an inch buried. I can try to pull it up a little bit. Last time I tried that though I couldn't get the plant to stay down and it kept floating away. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
08-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Great reference Celtic to show how they produce! I agree it's too deep and was about to mention that. I had a heck of a time with my bottom feeders pulling them out each night with so little of it planted.

Deleted User
08-24-2009, 05:05 PM
In that pic I think I only have about 1/2 an inch buried. I can try to pull it up a little bit. Last time I tried that though I couldn't get the plant to stay down and it kept floating away. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Pull it up a little but before you let go put a couple of pebbles or a bit of slate over the roots to hold it down till it takes hold. But I would move it to the back of your tank first. thumbs2: