PDA

View Full Version : Piranahs fished in the river PO , Italy !!!

Neon
08-24-2009, 08:35 AM
...after those huge biting turtles ( cannot remember the proper name ) found in the Italian rivers now a fisherman got a Piranha. I think certain people shouldn't start to have an aquarium with these animals which are dangerous if released in a different environment so differnt from the original native regions. See the pic here http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2009/08/23/piranha_b1--180x140.jpg

Dave66
08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Looks like a Pacu, not a piranha. Same colors, but Pacus get a lot larger than the red-bellied Piranha and are Vegetarians.

It's possible aquarists aren't responsible for the introduction of non-native species. Run off from a fish farm; from the ballast of a ship, discards from a university . . . . who knows how they got there?

Dave

Nautilus291
08-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Dave is right, but I think the fishstores need to make sure that when they sell large fish to people they have a tank to hold it. All the fishstores around me will sell pacus and common plecos to anyone. I new someone who bought a pleco for a 35g hex tank and, when it got too big they threw it in a pond and then bought a new one! I wasn't very happy with them.

Neon
08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
think u r right ...never jump to conclusions . Anyway it was brought to the Regional aquarium were experts said it was a piranha ( pygocentus nettereri ) see pic :http://locali.data.kataweb.it/kpmimages/kpm3/gloc/rep-parma/2009/08/23/jpg_1702132.jpg what a nice smile:hmm3grin2orange:

iZinedane
08-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Lol that pic has a "KILLER SMILE" :hmm3grin2orange:
i do agree though...
it looks more like a pacu then a piranha

sailor
08-24-2009, 12:08 PM
think u r right ...never jump to conclusions . Anyway it was brought to the Regional aquarium were experts said it was a piranha ( pygocentus nettereri ) see pic :http://locali.data.kataweb.it/kpmimages/kpm3/gloc/rep-parma/2009/08/23/jpg_1702132.jpg what a nice smile:hmm3grin2orange:

That first pic is a Pacu
Sorry to say but thats not even the same fish...........the fish in the first pic is way to big to wrap his hand around like that.

octoxpuss
08-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I think that it is funny when u look at the first pic u can clearly see it is a paco and then u look at the secon the fish is so tiny compared to the pacu. HA

Demjor19
08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
First pic is 100% Pacu...second pic is not even the same fish? I smell BS!

They probably realized they blew another Pacu story out of proportion by calling it a Piranha...then got a real Piranha to try making things look legit. Telling people they caught a Pacu in the river just doesn't get people excited...you know how the media does it! People love a hyped up story!

Neon
08-24-2009, 12:39 PM
...got the pictures from the same newspaper site:scry: point is whether pacu or piranha it shouldn't have been there isn'it ?

grilled pacu : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/PreparedPacu_VillaTunari.jpg/270px-

Northernguy
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Neon you can tell its a pacu because a pirhanas bottom jaw protrudes out farther than a pacus.At least thats the first thing I look for! lolthumbs2:

Its too bad its so difficult catching the morons that release fish like that!

bluebluecow
08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
i hate it when people chuck fish in rivers wether on purpose or not

By the way cool pic of pirhana, diwnloaded it to phone for wallpaper

Liz

Neon
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
A piranha as wallpaper for ur phone ? a got a koi a little bit less aggressive :ssmile: eheheheh:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
08-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Many states no longer allow the sale of them or even transporting them over state lines due to people dumping them in local rivers. I saw on the news the other day that an alligator was fished out of the water in New Jersey.

I will never understand having wild caught fish in tropical fish tanks or dumping tropical fish in local waters.

bluebluecow
08-24-2009, 03:44 PM
lol neon

It may stop the kids playing with my phone lol

Liz