PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

fooBar
08-24-2009, 12:51 AM
"Wild Turkey" gave be a great answer regarding my question about mixing shrimp species; now I've got more questions:

1. I've got a 10-gallon freshwater, community tank that I'm setting up. I'd like to put some freshwater shrimp in there for scavenging duties. Are there any species that would be better than others? Or would any freshwater shrimp be good for bottom clean up duties?

2. I'm setting up a 2-gallon Eclipse Marineland tank that I'm going to dedicate to freshwater shrimp. What would forum-members recommend as the species I should put in it?

3. I live in South Jersey and from what i can tell I'm not going to have much of a selection from the lfs's; so I'll probably have to mail-order. Any good recommendations? Have any of you done this? Any bad experiences? Any good experiences?

Thanks,
Bob

jaysee
08-24-2009, 04:23 AM
Welcome to the forum!

1. Ghost shrimp

2. Cherry shrimp - they come in red and in yellow

3. You'll be able to find ghosts, but others will be tough. Where in south jersey? I got my cherries from aquabid, sent priority mail - no DOAs.

fooBar
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks,

Do you feel that Ghost shrimp are the only option for good scavengers ore the best? I like some color in my shrimp, so I was thinking of adding two different species of shrimp in the 10-gallon; for the aesthetic value and for cleaning up the bottom. Is this a bad idea?

I live in Cape May County, I've been going to Ocean Aquarium for most of my advice. He said he mostly gets Ghost shrimp, but in the winter he sometimes gets other freshwater shrimp. But I'll probably go the AquaBid route when I'm confident my tanks are ready.

==> Bob