PDA

View Full Version : Floating Snail

MrJim
08-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah I got one...he won't sink. Once I held him close to the glass so he could latch on. Obviously there's a lot of trapped air in the shell. Anything I need to do? If left floating will he be ok? He's quite alive.

Red
08-24-2009, 12:45 AM
trying turning the shell upside down to let water go and air to come out.

Northernguy
08-24-2009, 01:03 AM
After you do that just let it be.It will get the air out on its own.Some snails like to float around.Mine used to ride in the bubbles.
I think she was Parasnailing!:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
08-24-2009, 01:05 AM
It will work the air out on its own.You would be more likely to hurt him then help if you tried to get the air out .

Wild Turkey
08-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Is it a new addition?

Sometimes its a sign of stress, sometimes they do it for seemingly no reason but you should leave it be unless its to give it a sniff to make sure its not dead.

MrJim
08-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Is it a new addition?

Sometimes its a sign of stress, sometimes they do it for seemingly no reason but you should leave it be unless its to give it a sniff to make sure its not dead.

No he's not new and definitely not dead.

Few days ago he decided to go down the the airline tubing that feeds my spongefilter. So he's cruising down through the bubbles until he gets to where he meets the spongefilter (Hydro II) and then just starts spinning around the tube~turns out he did that for about 7 hours, from the time my wife went to bed till she got up (I work 2d shift/came in late). She got him disconnected but I think he was a bit discombobulated for a while.

So I didn't know if maybe he got air too far into his shell or not, but I'll take the advice and let him alone for now...

Wild Turkey
08-24-2009, 02:25 AM
No he's not new and definitely not dead.

Few days ago he decided to go down the the airline tubing that feeds my spongefilter. So he's cruising down through the bubbles until he gets to where he meets the spongefilter (Hydro II) and then just starts spinning around the tube~turns out he did that for about 7 hours, from the time my wife went to bed till she got up (I work 2d shift/came in late). She got him disconnected but I think he was a bit discombobulated for a while.

So I didn't know if maybe he got air too far into his shell or not, but I'll take the advice and let him alone for now...

Yea sometimes ive had snails that obsess over the bubbles, they will get them in their shells and rise on purpose (for fun seemingly) but they also have the ability to just float at will.

MrJim
08-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Mysterious critters, just when I think I got 'em figured out:hmm3grin2orange:

Sarkazmo
08-24-2009, 02:58 AM
My Mystery snail, Whoosh, does that from time to time. Then he'll let out a snail fart and sink, heh

Sark

BIO-Linist
08-24-2009, 03:17 AM
I've seen ramshorns crawl, upside down, on the surface of the water a lot.

Northernguy
08-24-2009, 05:25 AM
I've seen ramshorns crawl, upside down, on the surface of the water a lot.
Apple snails will do that too.They are gethering food from the top of the water.

iZinedane
08-24-2009, 05:28 AM
After you do that just let it be.It will get the air out on its own.Some snails like to float around.Mine used to ride in the bubbles.
I think she was Parasnailing!:hmm3grin2orange:

Parasnailing..
LOL! :hmm3grin2orange:

MrJim
08-24-2009, 12:52 PM
My Mystery snail, Whoosh, does that from time to time. Then he'll let out a snail fart and sink, heh

Sark
:hmm3grin2orange: