PDA

View Full Version : heater on lowest setting makes water too hot?

italianxmna89
08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
i have a 20g tank with a 20g heater. i plan on having a tropical setup so i know the water has to be warm but even on its lowest setting my heater makes the water as hot as a jacuzzi. i did have a temp strip but i blv it was broken because it gave rediculous readings. ill find out the temp when my new thermometer comes in but is this common? should i put the heater on a timer for 12hrs a day or something?

bushwhacker
08-23-2009, 04:54 PM
take it out, sounds like a bad heater to me.. i almost boiled a tank when a heater went bad.

smaug
08-23-2009, 05:17 PM
This time of year depending on your climate you shouldnt really need a heater in the tank at all.I have mine turned off till the ambient temp drops below 70 deg in the house.

bushwhacker
08-23-2009, 05:38 PM
This time of year depending on your climate you shouldnt really need a heater in the tank at all.I have mine turned off till the ambient temp drops below 70 deg in the house.

good point smaug. unless the OP is above the arctic circle theres no need for a heater right now...i'm doing water changes with straight cold water and it hardly moves my temps:hmm3grin2orange:

Little Embers
08-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Just curious....what brand and wattage is your heater italianx?

It does sound like it might be faulty...is it turning off at all when it reaches a certain temp.

Even in summer in Aust. I never take my heater out of the tank or turn my heater off...it rarely needs to turn itself on in the summer months, but there's always a chance of a sudden cold snap/change in temp. so I would rather leave it on just in case.

jb300m01
08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Even in summer in Aust. I never take my heater out of the tank or turn my heater off...it rarely needs to turn itself on in the summer months, but there's always a chance of a sudden cold snap/change in temp. so I would rather leave it on just in case.

Agreed. My wife likes the windows closed and the AC on 70F. If I'm home alone, the windows and patio doors are open and the AC is off.

Lady Hobbs
08-23-2009, 07:38 PM
You could live in MI and use the heater year around! Especially this summer. lol You said a 20 ga heater. Is that a 25 watt you mean?

LethalResistanz
08-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I have a 100w heater in my 55 on 72. My room is 70. Keeps the tank at 78.

italianxmna89
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
its an elite 20g heater...cant seem to find the exact voltage online..it doesnt turn off or anything...i just twist the knob until something makes contact on the tube and an orange light goes on..

looks similar to this

http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/105453/?utm_source=bizrate&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=516737

whats a good heater? i dont want to spend more than $20-30 on a new one but want a reliable one that keeps a steady temp...i only have the one i have cranked up because i am cycling right now

Lady Hobbs
08-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Visa-Therms are a good heater but whatever you get, get a submersible so you don't have to unplug it for water changes.

italianxmna89
08-23-2009, 09:15 PM
is rena SmartHeater any good?

edit: nevermind it attatched to a rena filter which i dont have

smaug
08-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Just curious....what brand and wattage is your heater italianx?

It does sound like it might be faulty...is it turning off at all when it reaches a certain temp.

To each his own of course.I havnt had a heater in my tanks this entire summer,the temps have not fluctuated more then 5 deg for months.I suppose if you have a smallish tank exposed to much ac breeze then it could be an issue.However,if the temp swing goes no lower then 75 deg a heater is unnecasary unless you are keeping discus or certain other finicky critters.

fraggle
08-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I never even though about turning my heaters off, I figured once the ambient temp got warm enough the heaters don't come on anyway, which I know when it's warmer they hardly do.

I'd get another heater italian, it shouldn't make it jacuzzi temp and you don't want it cooking your fish!

LethalResistanz
08-23-2009, 11:16 PM
From what I've been told don't plug it in until it is fully submerged in the water. If it turns on in the air it will try to heat the air or something and break it.

smaug
08-24-2009, 01:03 AM
I never even though about turning my heaters off, I figured once the ambient temp got warm enough the heaters don't come on anyway, which I know when it's warmer they hardly do.

I'd get another heater italian, it shouldn't make it jacuzzi temp and you don't want it cooking your fish!
No,if the thermostat is qorking properly they shouldnt come on if not needed.The thing is,if the thermo does go bad in the heat of the summer and the think is on then you got fish stew.If it happens during the colder months it can be caught before its a big problem.I turn mine off for that reason,as a safeguard.

Lady Hobbs
08-24-2009, 02:29 AM
I went to wipe my heater off last week and cut my darned finger on broken glass. Didn't know it was cracked. The last one I had that wasn't the submersible type.

italianxmna89
08-24-2009, 04:19 AM
i think my problem was that i had it on..turned it off at one point and took it out too soon making it super hot in the air since there was no water to cool the glass...and i didnt want to put it back in the water after heating up or else the temp shock would have cracked it

Little Embers
08-24-2009, 07:30 AM
I went to wipe my heater off last week and cut my darned finger on broken glass. Didn't know it was cracked. The last one I had that wasn't the submersible type.
Are you sure you should have fish tanks Lady Hobbs? They seem to be forever wetting the floors, leaking or you are hurting yourself....:hmm3grin2orange: