PDA

View Full Version : What are all the fish and crustaceans that work well with bettas?

AdrienDeLaChicago
08-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Can someone give me some pointers as to what to get. I am getting a 26 or a 37 gallon tank for my male betta. I'd like to create a community tank and have it filled with fish.

I read on one site that ghost shrimp work well with bettas. But my bettas treated these little guys as FOOD! Now those shrimp are all gone.

Can I also mix with African frogs?

Thank you!
:fish:

Goodbye
08-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Tankmates that would be compatable with your betta would be fish like cories, loaches, platies, smaller plecos, and peaceful dwarf cichlids such as rams. Make sure to avoid other anabantids as they may attack or be attacked. Fin nippers, such as mollies and barbs, should also be avoided as the long, flowing fins of the male betta will be too much for them to ignore.

Regarding the shrimp, do you have lots of plant cover in the tank? Shrimp should do fine with bettas provided that there is sufficient amound of plant cover.

Hope this helps! I don't know anything about dwarf frogs. Someone else can give advice regarding those.

matthew.shelly
08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
i would recommend against the frogs. they need to be able to swim to the surface to breath and are not very good swimmers. a tank that size would just be too tall for them to be able to make the trip.

Wiggs
08-23-2009, 03:03 PM
As was said before any peaceful community fish will go great with your betta. I've had my Crowntail in with Danios, Neons, and Corys for months now and have never had a problem with any single fish in the tank.

Sarkazmo
08-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Dwarf African Frogs are GREAT with Betta. I've got two in with a Veil Tail. Stay away from African Clawed Frogs though, they get huge and will eat anything... even each other. Most community fish are fine. Betta each have their own personality though and that more than anything will determine what you can keep with it. I have one Betta that kills ANYTHING you put in the tank with it. He flairs at snails and smacks them off the glass. I have another male Betta that lives with four female Betta, a Swordtail, two Corys, and Ghost Shrimp with little trouble. And yet another male that flairs at inanimate objects near his tank... They're a tricky bunch, heh.

Sark

AdrienDeLaChicago
08-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm new to these forums so I apologize if I'm asking a repeat question.

I look forward to being a part of these forums.

I, however, downgraded to a 16 gallon tank instead of a 26 gallon tank. I have four bettas and want to house them all but space is limited here in my studio apartment.

Thanks again!
Adrien

Juniper
08-24-2009, 03:10 AM
Bettas can do very well with non-nipping tetras. I've seen them get along great with a shoal of neons or cardinals.

Neon
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
is living peacefully with my neons tetra , they just ignore each other and live in peace , sometimes I wonder fish are wiser than humans:fish2:

i am thinking to add , after many reserches and after bothering and pestering people in AC , a swordtail a dwarf cory , platies , very unlikely guppies, and why not a ram or 2, then my tank will be fully stocked