PDA

View Full Version : Brichardi behaviour

Jinkusu
08-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Anyone had any odd behavior at all from Brichardi's? lol
My little guy Nova, loves to pick up small pieces of coral and drag them up the side of the tank so that it makes a tapping noise, then he drops them, and swims down and does it again.
Im trying to train him so that when he does it, he gets food. lmao
He only does it in one corner though, could he be bored?? Im waiting for my local to contact me when they get some females in. Until then not much i can do, he also re-arranged the entire tanks sand/coral substrate. I know they dig and re-arrange (obviously), but the whole rock thing surprised me. lol

btw people who saw my last post on him will know he's a kind of rescue. His fins are growing back so nicely! They'd look normal to anyone who didnt know what brichardi fins are supposed to look like, but have not grown into a point/lyre tail just yet, i expect them to be fully grown in 2 weeks. :1luvu:

old pic from 2 weeks ago
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h277/Dragon-jinx/nova5.jpg

Nova now...
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h277/Dragon-jinx/Novaew.jpg

Northernguy
08-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Great pics!
That is a great looking fish! Nice job!
Thats what I like about cichlids,they are high on personality!

toddnbecka
08-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Sure, you love him now, but wait until you have a few hundred fry overcrowding the tank, and yet another brood about to hatch. :18: You'll be wondering why you wanted the buggers to begin with... :hmm3grin2orange:

Wiggs
08-23-2009, 02:42 AM
very nice turn-around on the rescue thumbs2: Fish looks great.

Jinkusu
08-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Sure, you love him now, but wait until you have a few hundred fry overcrowding the tank, and yet another brood about to hatch. :18: You'll be wondering why you wanted the buggers to begin with... :hmm3grin2orange:

hahah, oh dont worry i realise this to the fullest!!

AlaskanAquarist
02-28-2012, 04:52 AM
I too have just rescued a brichardi, and he is only about 2cm in length, true length, yet when I look at your pictures, and those from books, mine has pec fins that look deformed, and his (its) caudal has a lyre effect with a lobe appearance, maybe this is just a juvenile state of formation? I think he/she is the coolest thing since sliced bread, or auto feeders, but need to try to sex this animal. The current set-up is a tall 15 with three mystery tetras, and a small snail. I have placed half a terra pot and a Y-d BVC pipe for hiding and nesting. Next week I am going to add three Lemon Tetras with this group. The three month plan is a 40gal with hopefully a mate for the cichlid before it is set in it's way, or too terretorial to pair up.
superb pictures, the eyes you got that just so, I love those eyes and mine has an pupil that catches local coloration as it swims. In Alaska we don't get any on our "List" so finding another might be tough.