PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp

Sarkazmo
08-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Two days ago I traded a local pet store a bucket of dwarf water lettuce for 20 Ghost Shrimp. All but 3 have died. Two were dead by the time I got home. I am NOT happy....

Sark

Cristoff
08-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I have never had ANY luck with Ghost Shrimp.

Sorry for the losses, but with my luck on em, I'm not surprised. I think I killed one of mine just by looking at it funny.

aquatic lover
08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
That sucks! Sorry for the losses!

korith
08-22-2009, 10:22 PM
That happens sometimes. A few days ago I bought 30-40 ghost shrimp, about a 1/3 of them died in a few days.

Slow drip acclimating can help the shrimp adjust better. Shrimp are very sensitive to changes.

Mustang Boy
08-22-2009, 10:33 PM
i at one point lost 30 ghost shrimp in under a week in one of my salt tanks

it must have been that damn mantis shrimp i had in there with them lol

smaug
08-22-2009, 10:44 PM
They are like that.The best I have done with them is having 10 left out of 50 at the end of a week.My wife has fantastic luck with them in her 3 gal nano planted tank.If I put 5-6 in there they live for months.

Sarkazmo
08-23-2009, 02:32 AM
I guess I'll try the drip acclimation next time. I floated 'em for like 45min and then spent about another 45 min adding little amounts of tank water... crap. :(

Sark

DrNic
08-23-2009, 03:58 AM
What kind of water are you using? I couldn't get ghost or cherry shrimp to stay alive in my water. I found out later that it was likely a result of copper in the water from old pipes.

HomaridNoob6
08-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Well, seems like I'm a minority here, but I have had nothing but good luck with ghost shrimp, I started off buying 10 in one 5g tank dedicated to them, and now almost weekly I'm cleaning out the excess shrimp and using em as feeders. The tank I keep my shrimp in isn't even filtered or heated, i just do a once daily or every 2 day WC. It's lit and has some java moss, but I've found them really easy to keep, maybe you guys are getting some bad batches of them or something? Nic also has a good suggestion, could be from having old copper pipes, that is one thing they are very sensitive to.

Sarkazmo
08-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Pipes are fine, my RCS are thriving in the exact same water. Snails are breeding like mad, RCS are breeding like mad... Just the GS that're dying... *sigh*

Sark

jaysee
08-23-2009, 06:35 AM
One of the main problems with ghost shrimp is that they are not well cared for, both in transit and in holding at the store. This is true of most feeder fish. I've had good and bad times with gs. One time I lost 20 in one tank overnight (they didn't last the night), but had no losses in my other tanks, and they lived for months.