PDA

View Full Version : Finally have clear water

blue fin
03-27-2007, 02:09 AM
Well, after 5 months of struggling I have crystal clear water, I finally purchased a UV lamp to basically sterilize the water and it worked like a charm. After 2 days there was a noticeable change, after 5 the water is so clear I can read a can through the length of the tank clearly. Before as some of you may recall the water was at times so murky green that you couldn't see the back of the tank through the shallow part of the tank. I purchased the unit I am using from Petsmart online and the nice part is it comes with its own pump so you don't have to tap into your filter lines. The bad part is it sits entirely in the tank unlike some of the more expensive units that mount inline on the filter hoses.thumbs2:

Drumachine09
03-27-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey, havent seen you in a while. Where ya been?

Chrona
03-27-2007, 02:17 AM
Hey, havent seen you in a while. Where ya been?

Busy cleaning up his water ;)

Welcome back!

blue fin
03-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Busy cleaning up his water ;)

Welcome back!

LOL

Been helping my brother, he's been painting his new house... I mean he's been making me paint his new house.. apparently he thinks I do a better job

Also bike weather is here.. been riding my bike as often as weather permits

Lady Hobbs
03-27-2007, 02:51 AM
blue fin......I have missed you a lot. Actually thought of posting a message for you but thought, "what the heck. If he doesn't come here he won't see it."

I turned into a lady while you were gone. Well, not really. But my name says I am.

So glad your water problems have "cleared" up. It's annoying when you can't get the water looking as you want when you work so hard at it.

I just planted my 30 gallon and what a mess that deal turned into. My fish want to kill themselves.

Glad to see you!

blue fin
04-01-2007, 09:27 PM
blue fin......I have missed you a lot. Actually thought of posting a message for you but thought, "what the heck. If he doesn't come here he won't see it."

I turned into a lady while you were gone. Well, not really. But my name says I am.

So glad your water problems have "cleared" up. It's annoying when you can't get the water looking as you want when you work so hard at it.

I just planted my 30 gallon and what a mess that deal turned into. My fish want to kill themselves.

Glad to see you!

Some people have told me using the UV lamp could be detrimental to the fish but the tank is so much more enjoyable without the fog, I'm going to keep a close eye on the fish to make sure they stay healthy and I'm considering using it for a week at a time and then shutting it off for a week, any thoughts? If I had a nice big second tank I could establish it and put all of the fish in the other tank until I could sterilize the 75 gal tank completely and reestablish a cycle. So much work just for a little green water.

Lady H: Always a pleasure to talk to you...thumbs2:

Chrona
04-01-2007, 09:39 PM
As long as the bulb is not exposed to the open water in any way (which it shouldn't be) it is not harmful to the fish. That being said, most people still only turn it on to clear up the water or to treat parasites/bad bacteria etc.

blue fin
04-01-2007, 09:57 PM
As long as the bulb is not exposed to the open water in any way (which it shouldn't be) it is not harmful to the fish. That being said, most people still only turn it on to clear up the water or to treat parasites/bad bacteria etc.

It is fully enclosed, I have no interest in sterilizing my fish.. hehe, .. I think I will try alternating weeks just in case there are any unseen effects that are not healthy for the fish.