PDA

View Full Version : Ampatent's First Aquarium

Ampatent
08-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, everything arrived today and I've finished cleaning the sand, filling the tank, placing the ornaments, and setting up the filter and heater.

The first round of Stress Zyme has been added and I'm brimming with excitement.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1779.jpg

And I KNOW you all hate the fake ornamental look, but I'm working on a bit of a budget and can't afford to go off and buy tons of live or even fake plants. Plus, I kind of wanted an oriental theme to this aquarium.

smaug
08-21-2009, 11:31 PM
It looks great,fish tank decor is totally personal.Plants are a pain anyway.I have bot ends of the spectrum and I love them all.Are you familiar with cycling,fishless,or with fish?

red eyes
08-21-2009, 11:39 PM
what lucky fish('s) are going in there? =)

Northernguy
08-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Nice job on the tank!:22:

rich311k
08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Nice looking setup!

Ampatent
08-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks, appreciate the compliments.

I've read the e-book, and I'm doing the fishless cycle.

Once all the tests show the necessary results I'll be adding a small school of Harlequin Rasboras to start off with, then I'm going to work my way into a small school of Panda Cory Cats. Eventually I'm going to add a couple of Blue Cobra Guppies, and then find room for a Singapore Flower Shrimp, Harlequin Sailfin Molly, or Black Veil Angel.

If you guys have any advice or anything as far as constructive criticism I'm very much open to it.

Sharon
08-22-2009, 12:26 AM
It looks great!!!thumbs2: How big is it?

Ampatent
08-22-2009, 12:59 AM
29 Gallons - 30L x 12W x 16T

smaug
08-22-2009, 01:25 AM
its a bit small for angels,but the rest sounds great.

Ampatent
08-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Yea, after looking at all the suggested parameters for the fish I'm considering, the angel kind of stuck out with some odd requirements, so I'll probably drop it in favor of the Sailfin Molly.

smaug
08-22-2009, 01:34 AM
i keep sailfins in my pond.They breed like mad.Very pretty fish.

Ampatent
08-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Hmm... I'm running a Visi-therm Stealth Heater 100 Watt at 89 degrees in my aquarium, but the water seems much colder than even 70 degrees.

Is 100 watts to0 small for a 29 gallon aquarium?

Ampatent
08-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Lol, well it turns out my heater positioning isn't the best. It's probably in the most still part of the entire aquarium.

I picked up a stick on thermometer and slapped it onto the other side of the aquarium. The temperature was sitting on 86 until I changed the heater to 69 degrees, and now it's been slowly going down.

Took some Ammonia and 6-N-1 readings and the ammonia levels were WAY too low, so I had to add a lot of Zyme and it's now around 3-4 ppm.

There's also a 1 degree tilt on the aquarium that is really annoying me.

Seems like everything but the entire tank shattering has happened, knock on wood.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1792.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1796.jpg

Ampatent
08-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Interesting, the Ammonia levels are only reading around 2 ppm even after I add more than the recommended amount of Zyme to the aquarium.

The bacteria couldn't have possibly developed that quickly, so where is it all going?

smaug
08-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Forgive me if you mentioned it already.What type test are you using?Dip strips or drops and liquid?Dip sticks are very inaccurate.

Ampatent
08-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Well... I'm trying to use the Jungle Labs Ammonia and 6-N-1 strips, but you say they are inaccurate?

So... would I be better of buying a Master Kit such as this one (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+4454&pcatid=4454)...

smaug
08-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Yes,that is the one that most of us use.Especially during cycling you need accurate measurments and the drop tests are much better and repeatable.

Ampatent
08-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Noticed a very fine pink algae growing on the bamboo decoration. It's only in a few places and doesn't seem to be very thick.

It was hard to get a picture of it that would show up...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1802.jpg

So the question now is, do I removed the decoration and clean it off, or should I just leave it in there?

Jon-C
09-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Nice tank has very clean look to it not just cause it's new

Jon-C
09-03-2009, 03:59 PM
I also tried the jungle 6n1 test strips and they are inacuate exspecially with amonia and nitrite levels

Deleted User
09-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Your tank looks nice and it sounds like you are doing and watching all you can for a great start! Good job!!!

Ampatent
09-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Got the API liquid test kit today and did the "first" real test. If these things are as trustworthy as everyone says, then I've got a good cycle going.

Ammonia is currently at 2.0-4.0 ppm
Nitrites are currently at .50-1.0 ppm
Nitrates are currently at 5.0 ppm

The only problem now is that I need to get some pure ammonia as soon as possible before my bacteria starves.

Lab_Rat
09-04-2009, 02:14 AM
The API are great liquid test kits. If you're worried about your bacteria starving just throw in some fish food or a raw shrimp, that will feed them and keep your fishless cycle going.

Ampatent
09-04-2009, 09:59 PM
I did a bad thing today....

I bought 4 Bloodfin Tetras from the LFS. At least I don't have to worry about ammonia now! (blush)

Lab_Rat
09-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Ammonia is currently at 2.0-4.0 ppm
Nitrites are currently at .50-1.0 ppm
Nitrates are currently at 5.0 ppm

You added fish to a tank with those levels?????

Seriously???

Expect dead fish tomorrow. You are poisoning them. I hope you did a 95% water change before adding the fish. If not, you need to do some major water changes, that ammonia has to be below 0.5 and same for the nitrite. Otherwise, dead. Of course, once they die you can just leave the bodies floating in the tank, you won't have to worry about the ammonia supply then.

Ampatent
09-05-2009, 01:33 AM
I acclimated, feed, and changed the water. They are quite active, aren't breaching for air, and haven't shown any signs of problems yet....

If there dead tomorrow... oh well, lesson learned then. If not, then I guess they earned their reputation as hardy fish, or I need to better read a test chart.

robflanker
09-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Ampatent - you need to do a massive water change immediately. You can't be so cavaliar with the lives of fish, animals or anything.

The liquid test kits are designed to give an accurate reading. Its pretty specific, its either 0.5 or 1.0 not 0.5-1.0ppm.

Please consider what you are doing to something living - its analogous to me throwing you in a pit of fire and saying well if he dies, lesson learned humans dont live in fire pits. Fish do not live in tanks with 4ppm of ammonia.

Ampatent
09-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Kind of ironic that you only turn up when someone is doing something wrong....

ANYWAY! I just retested the tank after the water change and the Ammonia is at below 1.0 and the Nitrates are at 0.

By the way... not to try and start an argument, but the difference between a human and a fish is vast. I do not want to see these fish die either, which is WHY I did a water change so quickly.

I realize I shouldn't have bought the fish, but they are in the tank now and that's the end of it.

robflanker
09-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I was watching a movie, sorry I couldnt get here earlier....

Good job doing the WC it was the right thing to do.

Yes the fish are in the tank now, so lets try and keep the ammonia down and keep it a productive environment

Fish are alive, try to keep it mind when discussing their lives and futures

Lab_Rat
09-05-2009, 02:00 AM
I did a bad thing today....

I bought 4 Bloodfin Tetras from the LFS. At least I don't have to worry about ammonia now!

Ampatent, Rob is very helpful and gives great advice. You're the one who knowingly exposed these fish to inappropriate conditions and then came here and posted about it. You knew it was a bad thing to do, you said it in your post.

People here care about the welfare of their fish. I can't think of a single person, even those who advocate cycling with fish, that would have approved of you adding those fish to a tank with those levels of ammonia.

I am glad the ammonia and nitrite levels are lower now, but you're gonna need to be doing daily water changes til the cycle is done if those fish have any hope. Even so, they may suffer permanent damage to their gills.

KingFisher
09-05-2009, 02:01 AM
You need to do more waterchanges until the levels of ammonia are at or below .25 in order to prevent harm to the fish's gills. You will also need to test every day and do another waterchange whenever the level gets above this. Good luck with your fish!

Jon-C
09-05-2009, 02:39 AM
If your cycling with fish now you should add stress zyme with every water change it will help and make the the cycle easier on your fish I have a 55 as well and not knowing any better started to stock the tank prior to knowing what cycle was and with dailey 40-60% wc and stress zyme everyday my amonia and nitrite levels never went over .25 and and my tank has way more fish

Jon-C
09-05-2009, 02:40 AM
And if your amonia is still at 1 ppm you should do another wc soon

Ampatent
09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm awake and the fish are too.... Gave them a sprinkling of food and planning on doing a water change around noon.

Lab_Rat
09-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm glad you're doing the water changes. 50% daily changes until that cycle is done will help keep your fish alive and minimize the damage to their gills from ammonia/nitrite. Good luck.

jackson17
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
When they breed they do barrel roles dropping eggs...Just something to look out for if they are.

Ampatent
09-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Just to reassure everyone, I've taken pictures of the water tests, I also included my stupidly high pH.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1820.jpghttp://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1821.jpghttp://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1822.jpghttp://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1823.jpg

I know the Ammonia levels are still too high, but I'm doing daily 50% water changes so I'm not too worried about that.

Ampatent
09-07-2009, 02:44 AM
Managed to take some pictures and a video... (Will post the video tomorrow).

Full Tank Shot (Mother bought some more decorations so I felt obligated to put them in, I'm planning on getting more plants soon)

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1826.jpg

And the Fab Four

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1811-1.jpg

Jon-C
09-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Your tank looks great and I'm glad to hear your readings are coming down and that your fish are doing well the water changes should help bring your ph down as well Providing tap water is lower do you know the hardness level? Have you tested your faucet water? What is the ph?
And I am srry I don't mean to ask a question on your post but the pics of your test kit makes mean wonder I just got the same kit and when i test my water the colors are much more transparent in comparison yours look milky is there any reason for that? Do you maybe have well water? Is one right or wrong? Or are they both ok and it's just a matter of different tap water in different areas?

Ampatent
09-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I would imagine our tap water is much harder, I'm thinking about getting a filter to put on the faucet for when I do water changes.

Ampatent
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
WELL... had the first casualty today, but it wasn't due to biological or chemical problems. While trying to siphon the detritus off the sand one of the fish swooped under the siphon and got sucked in. I couldn't turn it off fast enough to keep him from going through the mechanical part of the siphon. By the time I could locate him his tail was partially sliced off and he was obviously gone.

Pisses me off...

Ampatent
09-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Took a trip to the Trailhead Brewery down near the Missouri River, and managed to snag some neat decorations...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/killdrone/IMG_1843.jpg

They're not as curly or brambly as I would have liked, but most of the driftwood there was just straight sticks.

fins_n_fur
09-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Closing on op's request.