PDA

View Full Version : never knew

Padams
08-21-2009, 03:22 PM
that zebras were such funny endless energy fish:ssmile:

Put 6 in the tank yesterday and good night they dance all over! Kids really love their action. I had a heck of a laugh as 5yo was telling them to hold still so he could name them. :hmm3grin2orange: Then the 2yo screams TOP FISEE TOP FISEE. should have had a video camera.

Will they normally chase each other? I noticed one of the larger ones seems to always be "it" in the tag game. I realize there is a pecking order to the school but wanted to ensure it's not being too successful.

Northernguy
08-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Many fish act like that when kept in the right numbers!
If you ever get a decent sized school of corys they may become one of your favorite fish.They are a blast too watch!

iZinedane
08-21-2009, 04:02 PM
haa! i agree with NG
my Glofish (Zebra Danios) are an energetic school!

Red
08-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, zebras are also great little kid fish, since they always move. There chasing at each other is normal.

Lab_Rat
08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Congrats on the fish, glad your kids love them!

sanddigger
08-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Many fish act like that when kept in the right numbers!
If you ever get a decent sized school of corys they may become one of your favorite fish.They are a blast too watch!

Syno pectricolas ditto!!!! They are my favorite catfishies.

Enjoy, Danios Rock!

DrNic
08-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Oh yeah, zebrafish are like the energizer bunnies of the fish world. They just keep going and going and going.... you get the idea. Great for kids.

Padams
08-22-2009, 03:15 AM
well the adult bev might play in a little:hmm3grin2orange:

Kids are still trying to name them :hammer2: we'll see how long that lasts

I tried for about 15 min and got one decent pix of one fish.

I appreciate all the help from y'all in this adventure.

BTW do they think anything going in the tank is a food source? I had them all circling and trying to "taste" the hair on my arm as I was adding plants tonight.

King Tut
08-22-2009, 04:09 AM
If I put my hands in any of my tanks they do that. They are always looking for food it would seem. I have the glofishand they are a hoot to watch. Glad your little ones like them. My 5 y/o likes to put her hand in the tank (after being cleaned and rinsed well) and getting "fishy kisses".

mac
08-22-2009, 05:12 AM
Glad all is going well with your fish choice.

Great news the kids are happy!

mac

Padams
08-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Well the names for the Zebras so far are

Zeb
Stripe
Spot (cant figure how we got that)
lightning (i think like the cartoon race car)

The 2y/o get the rest but there is a constant argument over which fish he can name cause they can't tell them apart. What a dilemma! :hmm3grin2orange:

Ryanlives
08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
great names!thumbs2: i have yet to name my fish...

Lady Hobbs
08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I had some long finned danio's at one time and liked them pretty much. They were a blue color. I added some zebra's and within one day they had stripped the fins off the long-finned. I had no idea this would happen.

Padams
08-23-2009, 04:25 PM
due to their tendency to nip at long fins I will probably just keep this tank for them as they are interesting to watch and GREAT for kids due to all their activity. Though I would have liked a Black Beta for this tank.

Aeonflame
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Cute kids! Just one more reason why keeping fish can be so fulfilling. And just think, you are passing something on to them that will give them endless joy throughout their lives. Just like the fine folk here at AC.

Padams
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
its a good thing they take after MOM

Hopefully all of my work at this fish thing will be something they continue. Though they still don't feed the dog and it's been over a year. (since they were take over don't worry I feed him too) :ssuprised:

aelwero
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
we have danios, tetras, and guppies in a 30Gal, 5 each, and the zebras have them all acting crazy now.

Padams
08-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Does anyone have a link for Fishy Ridilin???? :hmm3grin2orange:

I have also noticed they seem to only stay together in 2-3 with a couple loners but they all seem to be loner at times. Weird these things taught in fish school.

terrapin24h
08-25-2009, 08:07 PM
I have 6 glofish and 7 zebras--it's pure bedlam 24x7(every now and then a half dozen will group up and swim against the filter flow). They're great. Their constant motion helps the tank look vibrant and also helps create "background" motion for the motion of the other fish i have in the tank.

--chris

Padams
08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
they should definitely be recommended for 1st tank beginners or those w/ kids