PDA

View Full Version : blue eyes water

dbananas2008
08-21-2009, 02:49 AM
What kind of water do new guinea rainbow fish like can they be kept in brackish conditions? I read that they were found in water with a ph of 7.8 in a river but I don't know what part.

rich311k
08-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Mine are in soft pure fresh water apparently they can be found in brackish water as well. They are quite adaptable.

dbananas2008
08-21-2009, 03:15 AM
thanks they are very beautiful fish I'm considering putting a shoal of them in the tank I'm setting up but it is going to be brackish so I wasn't sure

trojannemo
08-22-2009, 01:39 AM
which blue eyes are you considering? some of them are full fresh, some are brackish and some are full salt water...sooo which one is it?
i just got Dr. Allen's book on rainbowfish as a bday present with a lot on info on the blue-eyes, let me know the species and i'll tell you what he says:ssmile:

dbananas2008
08-22-2009, 11:18 PM
I as looking Into Pseudomugil rainbows or new guinea blue eyes
Thank you in advance thumbs2:

trojannemo
08-22-2009, 11:49 PM
that is the family name, not species. blue eyes and pseudomugil rainbows are the same thing. there are a couple of blue-eyes under different names, but i doubt those are the ones you're looking at...

so try again. it's going to be Pseudomugil signifer, Pseudomugil gertrudae, Pseudomugil furcatus, etc,etc...

frankly with the lack of information you seem to have, you are not ready to care for them(blush)

mac
08-23-2009, 12:18 AM
so try again. it's going to be Pseudomugil signifer, Pseudomugil gertrudae, Pseudomugil furcatus, etc,etc...

A easy way to sort out what fish dbananas2008 is wanting is by a pics.

Because of the amount types of similar species of Blue eyes it makes it hard for beginners to identify which is which.

frankly with the lack of information you seem to have, you are not ready to care for them(blush)

IMO that is uncalled for. Not every one has all the info at their finger tips. More so when they are starting out in fish keeping.

As for the names, and supposed lack of info can easily be put down to the fact that fish can have different names in different places. Also the amount of info out there can be very hard to sift through as to which is correct and what is not.

Give the fellow a break. He is here asking for help. Not a telling off.

dbananas2008 with you wanting to have Rainbows in Brackish IMO I would not do it. The chances of getting ones which have been raised in that type of ecosystem will be hard. I would not try it IMO

mac

trojannemo
08-23-2009, 12:27 AM
well i apologize if what i said was said in the wrong way, but i still believe it must be said.

some fish you can get and then figure out what they need. rainbowfish are very sensitive, and so are blue-eyes. one should learn about them, prepare for them, and then get them. not decide ahead of time they want them for an environment that may or may not be suitable for them, as the OP is doing.

most of the brackish/saltwater blue-eyes are rare to find and imo not the best looking. chances are what you'll find locally will be the freshwater varieties...please don't keep these in a brackish tank.

if you insist on brackish fish, then try P. cyanodorsalis. it's blue (cyanonodorsalis:shappy: ) and lives in saltwater environments...

is that better?:help:

mac
08-23-2009, 12:31 AM
well i apologize if what i said was said in the wrong way, but i still believe it must be said.

Well not really. Just a simple "IMO I would not keep these fish" Then your reason why. Not a brow beating!

some fish you can get and then figure out what they need.

Well I can see that the chap is try to not do that, by asking what to do!!!

rainbowfish are very sensitive, and so are blue-eyes.

I have never really found them to be sensitive to anything but food. ON a whole they are great fish to keep, providing you research them a lot.

one should learn about them, prepare for them, and then get them. not decide ahead of time they want them for an environment that may or may not be suitable for them, as the OP is doing.

Well what this fellow was doing was saying he wanted them, and asking if they would work. And what to do really.

mac

dbananas2008
08-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Hey Mac thanks for sticking up for me. You're right I am trying to do the right thing and if I would have known I would get a tounge lashing I would have gone somewhere else. I do know that new guinea rainbows and pseudomugils are the same thing I wasn't sure what they would be under in the genius's book. Pseudomugil signifer are the ones that I am looking for. I found a great hatchery that breeds them and keeps them with some salt in their water so this is the reason that I wasn't sure if they could go full brackish. I asked the breeder they said yes but I wanted to have multiple opinions. I wanted to thank the almighty trojannemo for being such a gentleman to a girl that was doing research before purchasing any fish or even filling the tank with water. I had forgotten that in this world there are people that are born with such knowledge that they never have the need to do research, loath people that do,and have the need to put them down so everyone sees their intelect:1luvu: and wits.

gm72
08-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Folks, if you don't have a helpful post then don't post at all. This member is asking what to do with Rainbows. Help the member figure it out or don't post at all. Thanks.

The thread will now get back on track.

mac
08-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Hey Mac thanks for sticking up for me.

That is okay mate.thumbs2:

You're right I am trying to do the right thing and if I would have known I would get a tounge lashing I would have gone somewhere else.

IMO this is the best place to come for info, out of all the forums I have been on. Don't mind the odd few.:22:

I do know that new guinea rainbows and pseudomugils are the same thing I wasn't sure what they would be under in the genius's book.

Just what I thought. I mean in your case. From time to time I have the odd trouble. Only due to the large amount of fish names, and various names, along with their real names.

So I know how you feel.

Pseudomugil signifer are the ones that I am looking for.

Which is what I thought you would be after.

I found a great hatchery that breeds them and keeps them with some salt in their water so this is the reason that I wasn't sure if they could go full brackish.

Great news. Sounds great.

I asked the breeder they said yes but I wanted to have multiple opinions.

Nothing like a multitude of counsel. Always helps make things easy.

mac:11:

trojannemo
08-23-2009, 04:39 AM
does this need to turn into a flaming thread? it's not my book, it's by Dr. Gerald R. Allen, titled "Rainbowfishes in Nature and in the Aquarium," and as I have been led to understand it is one of the best books for information, though limited to species discovered before 1996. i've already apologized and clarified what i said. i wont go back to that.

according to Allen P. signifer is "a stream and estuarine-dwelling Blue-eye from eastern Australia...it seems to do best if a small amount (0.5 grams per litre) of salt is added to the water."

Estuarine habitat — tidal habitats and adjacent tidal wetlands that are usually semi-enclosed by land but have open, partly obstructed, or sporadic access to the open ocean and in which ocean water is at least occasionally diluted by freshwater runoff from the land

find out what the specific gravity of the hatchery is and then acclimate the fish slowly to yours.

you win:14:

:22:

dbananas2008
08-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks I will find out the gravity and will acclimate them accordingly. This hatchery that I have gone to has very nice rare fish. They specialize in smaller fish. They do shipping for big or small orders. I've never had anything shipped from them so I can't say anything there; but they are really nice people they are in Lancaster CA. The site is www.karmafarmaquatics.net