PDA

View Full Version : I got replacement plants today. LOL

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Did I get my Vals? NO! He sent me the onion plants but instead of Vals I got clover.

:14: I am so over this!

sergo
03-26-2007, 03:32 PM
sounds kind of like a drive through.

hungryhound
03-26-2007, 03:49 PM
That sucks. Do you want me to send you some vals. I am seriously doubting that I have spiral vals, as my label said, as mine have yet to spiral. But I have vals of some kind and could send you a few off shoots.

jweintraub
03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
How big are your vals hungryhound? Mine didn't start spiraling until they were at least 7-9 inches.

Chrona
03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Just send him another pic and he'll send you another set of replacements. That's what I did and I got 4 plants for the price of one :rolleyes:

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
I thank you but no. I have plants in pots all over the place now. My tanks looks pretty stupid with all these pots but I gave up on many of the "bunches" trying to keep them in the fluorite. I ended up potting them in Latrite (clay) and put stones on top so the clay wouldn't mess up the water too much. I'm limited on where to put them as these Silver Dollars are unforgiving when it comes to plants.

I will wait until I get my next tank (if I don't have a plant breakdown by then) and get some vals that I can plant properly. I thank you for your genious offer but keep your plants for yourself until your tank is just teaming with them and you have to do some pruning.

I got my package today and had to laugh. How can you be mad at someone who just can't get anything right? I think he must be smoking more plants than he's selling, poor guy. He just posted me Thursday that he has lots of Vals so why he sent clover I haven't a clue.

He is messed up! LOL

hungryhound
03-26-2007, 04:37 PM
How big are your vals hungryhound? Mine didn't start spiraling until they were at least 7-9 inches.

I have one or two plants that are in the 7 to 9 inch range, but the rest are about 5 inches. They just seem content to put all of their energy into making runners.

I have them up on a terrace and this one stupid plant put up a runner down off of the terrace, and I decided I needed to let the new plant get established before I moved it. Well the new plant was less than cm tall when it sent out a runner for a new plant. I ended up replanting both plants and the plant has decided to send another runner down the terrace. Stupid Plant.

I think I started with about 6 plants about 5 inches tall. Now I have about 15 of them that range from half an inch to 7 or 8 inches.

If they do not spiral until they get taller, then that might be the reason that they have not spiraled yet. They appear to be too delicate to be jungle vals, so the label may have been correct after all thanks.

Chrona
03-26-2007, 04:38 PM
I thank you but no. I have plants in pots all over the place now. My tanks looks pretty stupid with all these pots but I gave up on many of the "bunches" trying to keep them in the fluorite. I ended up potting them in Latrite (clay) and put stones on top so the clay wouldn't mess up the water too much. I'm limited on where to put them as these Silver Dollars are unforgiving when it comes to plants.

I will wait until I get my next tank (if I don't have a plant breakdown by then) and get some vals that I can plant properly. I thank you for your genious offer but keep your plants for yourself until your tank is just teaming with them and you have to do some pruning.

I got my package today and had to laugh. How can you be mad at someone who just can't get anything right? I think he must be smoking more plants than he's selling, poor guy. He just posted me Thursday that he has lots of Vals so why he sent clover I haven't a clue.

He is messed up! LOL

Actually, it was confirmed that he gets shipments from overseas (nurseries in Asia) and ships them right out, so he keeps no inventory. Thus, something probably gets lost in translation ;) Seriously though, just keep emailing him and he'll keep sending you plants lol.

hungryhound
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM

He is messed up! LOL

Okay, but at my current pace I am going to reach the pruning stage in about 1 hour.

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 07:14 PM
When it gets that you have to start thinning them out, I will buy some from you but I don't want you taking from your own stock. You really should keep them for another tank.

Look at the poor mess my tank is in now? I will NOT be entering it into TOTM anytime soon. :confused: And yes, that is sun shining on the plants. Among other things today, I kept hearing my light "pop". The light is now not working and I have no idea what happened. I replaced the bulb but the light itself went on the fritz so I opened the curtain to let some sun in.

Some my tank will look like that of ENTHUSIAST and I will have my own garden growing.

Chrona
03-26-2007, 07:17 PM
That actually looks pretty good Hobbs, minus the pots of course. When the stems really start to spread their roots out they'll stay in the gravel better. And what kind of hood is it? Fluorescent? It sounds like the ballast is broken.

sergo
03-26-2007, 07:17 PM
i will gladly take plants that people don't want. as long as they are different than what i have :)
i'm just as much of an opportunist as some the others here.

i like free stuff ;)

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
That actually looks pretty good Hobbs, minus the pots of course. When the stems really start to spread their roots out they'll stay in the gravel better. And what kind of hood is it? Fluorescent? It sounds like the ballast is broken.

Quote button engaged. LOL

I may "re-thunk" what I tried before that made such a mess of my water.....Laterite. I don't think I did it right, really. You're supposed to pack it down in the bottom of the tank and add the gravel to the top to prevent so much mess leeching into the water. You can then have the gravel color you want. I don't mind the Fluorite but it's about impossible to keep stem plants in it. Of course I could also avoid this by not buying stem plants!! My anabus and sword plant are staying in nicely and obviously, plants with roots have a much better start.

My stems come with a metal band attached. I've read on some sites to plant it like this but other sites say to remove that band. Metals are not supposed to be in your tank so this makes much more sense to me. Same with plant weights.

I don't know what happened to my light. Tank is only 6 months old but water may have gotten into it from the filter. It doesn't have a starter unit and is built in.

Chrona
03-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Quote button engaged. LOL

I may "re-thunk" what I tried before that made such a mess of my water.....Laterite. I don't think I did it right, really. You're supposed to pack it down in the bottom of the tank and add the gravel to the top to prevent so much mess leeching into the water. You can then have the gravel color you want. I don't mind the Fluorite but it's about impossible to keep stem plants in it. Of course I could also avoid this by not buying stem plants!! My anabus and sword plant are staying in nicely and obviously, plants with roots have a much better start.

My stems come with a metal band attached. I've read on some sites to plant it like this but other sites say to remove that band. Metals are not supposed to be in your tank so this makes much more sense to me. Same with plant weights.

I don't know what happened to my light. Tank is only 6 months old but water may have gotten into it from the filter. It doesn't have a starter unit and is built in.

OMG SHE USED THE QUOTE BUTTON! ;)

I've seen some people who just push laterite balls into their substrate without a problem. Not sure what happened before that was screwing up your water so badly

You need to remove the metal bands or the stems will rot. The metal won't release anything into your tank, but the decaying plants will :) You want to plant the stems about half an inch away from each other, individually or in groups of 2.

As for the anubias, make sure to keep the rhizome out of the gravel (water has to be able to go around it) or it'll rot as well. Only the roots should be going into the gravel.

Judging by your "encounters" with getting water on electrical equipment, I guess it's safe to say that is what caused the ballast to die :) Unfortunately, replacement ballasts for aquarium lights are often just as much as a new set.

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 08:04 PM
You want to plant the stems about half an inch away from each other, individually or in groups of 2.

I like the one big group of 1. LOLOL

Chrona
03-26-2007, 11:50 PM
You want to plant the stems about half an inch away from each other, individually or in groups of 2.

I like the one big group of 1. LOLOL

That's probably why you are having so much trouble keeping them planted. They don't tend to sprout roots much under cramped conditions :P

xoolooxunny
03-27-2007, 02:40 AM
Hobbs, I got some vals for you. They shoot runners out on me all the time because my light isnt strong enough for them to grow really tall. But i can send some over and we can see what they do in your tank.:ezpi_wink1: :11:

Lady Hobbs
03-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Really? Are you sure. More pots in my tank. LOL