PDA

View Full Version : Detatching bulbs?

mattsbottleofjager
08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I have been trying to read up on bulb plants, and everything says do not detatch the bulb. I planted 3 bulbed plants recently, one was not attatched to the bulb, so I planted the bulb separate. The bulb has new leaves and stuff growing from it, and the plant that was attatched to it has new growth also. From what I have read they should not be detatched intentionally, but it seems to me like they are growing fine without the bulb? I'm tempted to remove the bulbs from my others to plant separately for more plants. The plants are tiger lotus, I'm not sure the proper name. I am using flourish tabs and no Co2, 2x40w bulbs. All input is welcomed, thanks.

DrNic
08-20-2009, 03:40 AM
I have been trying to read up on bulb plants, and everything says do not detatch the bulb. I planted 3 bulbed plants recently, one was not attatched to the bulb, so I planted the bulb separate. The bulb has new leaves and stuff growing from it, and the plant that was attatched to it has new growth also. From what I have read they should not be detatched intentionally, but it seems to me like they are growing fine without the bulb? I'm tempted to remove the bulbs from my others to plant separately for more plants. The plants are tiger lotus, I'm not sure the proper name. I am using flourish tabs and no Co2, 2x40w bulbs. All input is welcomed, thanks.
Lilly bulbs are a little different than your standard bulb. The roots don't actually grow out of the bulb. Instead the bulb will send up a short shoot from which both roots and leaves will develop. Once the plant is established the bulb acts as energy storage. If the bulb falls off by itself then the plant will be fine, it usually just means that the plant can get ample energy from its leaves.

I have heard of people cutting off bulbs from established plants in order to generate new plants. I'm not sure exactly how to do this though.

EddyC
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a tiger lotus (nymphaea zenkeri) in my tank and have successfully separated offshoots multiple times. The key is to make sure the secondary plant has at least one big leaf and a handful of smaller ones. This plant does not have a bulb of its own (usually) and so doesn't have a place to store energy and nutrients. So you have to make sure it can get enough from its leaves, or you'll just be killing it.

When the time comes to separate, I just take really sharp scissors and cut the runner about one third of the way away from the bulb and gently shake the daughter plant to disengage the roots from the substrate. It's as easy as that. When replanting you might wanna put a root tab directly beneath the new plant to help it establish itself.

Just make sure the scissors are sharp - if you crush the runner instead of cutting it it will rot and could spread to the bulb. Keep an eye on it for about a week after just to make sure.

Good luck! Tiger lotuses are beautiful plants.