PDA

View Full Version : Added Live Rock

slingham64
03-26-2007, 05:09 AM
Got the live rock in my 60 gallon tonight. Did an Atoll Formation. Well kinda, once the water cleared it looked more like a wall, an we didn't have as much as we'd thought. BUT we are going to get some more, clean up the formation a little, and we'll be set. Exciting.

palabared
03-27-2007, 08:12 AM
sounds cool. what is an atoll formation btw? i wonder if there is a website that gives some basic layouts one can do?

what kind of lighting/and watts are u running on that tank? i have a similar 55g i want to convert, but dont want to spend 1000$ for a 48'' metal halide setup. liverock is so cool, never know what you get its like one of those grab bag deals for baseball cards lol

Fishguy2727
03-28-2007, 12:52 AM
You can do live rick with just a good fluorescent fixture, compact fluorescent would be even better, but you don't have to have metal halide.

slingham64
03-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Well is the Aquaglo good enough then??

An to the other guy, let me recommend the best book I've ever read:

The New Marine Aquarium
by Michael S. Paletta

That's where I got the formation idea, it has 6 different ones and the plusses and negatives to each formation. The Atoll is basically a big U and it creates a mini hidden lagoon in the center that gives fish a sense of safety and hopefully brings them out.

I know live rock is cool, there wasn't much action with the stuff we had cause he had let the tank get away from him, but right now we just have an Aquaglo Flourescent hooked up so we'll see if that is enough to get it going.

Fishguy2727
03-28-2007, 01:18 AM
I would do either a 50/50 or a 10,000K bulb.

slingham64
03-28-2007, 01:36 AM
I would do either a 50/50 or a 10,000K bulb.

Can you elaborate on those like where I can get them, what I need etc. etc.

Cause what I have now is the Aquaglo witch lays across the canopy, it's got two lips that catch both sides and that's how it is in. But we also got a ballast for compact flourescents. My LFS was asking is it is a square plug or something else, I took a look at it an it is just bare wires.