PDA

View Full Version : Discus pair fighting please help

lady_gaga_89
08-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Hello,

I've got a pair of breeders they've successfully breed many times. I've had them for about 5 months and layed for me after six days of bringing them home. About four months ago they got a bacteria infection on the outside but i treated them and they have been 100% healthy for the last three months. But since getting healthy my female (i think) is being aggressive towards her mate, they have never fought before she kind of pecks his side and sometimes chases him around the whole tank, but then 2 minutes later they're swimming and eating together? What the???
They're water quality is perfect, P.H is 6.4 temp is 30,
I've got no nitrate, nitrite or ammonia.
Can someone help me out? I have seperated them with a divider and they always wanted to go back to each other i kept them seperate for a week put them back together and were fine for a while but then she started again (I think its her anyway)
P.S They are the only fish in a four foot.
They haven't been bowing to each other, and im scared they wont breed again, they are blue turqiouse.

sandy_byz
08-19-2009, 07:36 AM
discus pair likely appreciated the distractions offered by the dither fish-- with that gone, they can only take out their insecurity on one another. Ironically, you may want to add in some innocuous fish, like a school of Neons or Cardinals. They'll give the pair something to chase away, which will allow them to bond again.

kennedpa
08-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Discus generally work better in more than a pair...you have been lucky to get away with a pair thus far

domjd05
08-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah, depending on tank size, its best to have 6+ discus to avoid aggression... one will almost always be dominate of the others, but with 6 or more then chain of command is always changing around.. with 2 its usually just a matter of time before the dominant one will stress the other to the point of death.

lady_gaga_89
08-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Don't you understand that these are a breeding pair of discus, of course they have got to be on their own otherwise the others will eat the eggs, my pair wouldn't breed untill i took all the fish out and then they started. They have always layed on they're own they would refuse when their were other fish in there...