PDA

View Full Version : flowerhorn not eating shrimps and bloodworms

sandy_byz
08-19-2009, 07:12 AM
my flowerhorn not eating shrimps and bloodworms.. bt he eats chiken heart... aims hi red feed... chiken .. meat etc....

then y he nt eating shrimps and bloodwormz ??:scry:

Little Embers
08-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Some fish can just be picky eaters and may not like all foods, just like people...He is eating something, so that is good! If you stop feeding the chicken heart etc. and only feed the shrimp and bloodworms to him, eventually when he is hungry enough he will most likely eat the bloodworms/shrimp. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but giving him a varied diet is better for him, you can experiment with different fish food that is appropriate for flowerhorns and see what he likes best.

Are the Bloodworms still frozen when you feed them to him or are they live?

BTW: It would be greatly appreciated if you could type your words out in full and not use text language....it really is very hard to understand what you are saying, particularly for old people like me that don't even know how to text. :hmm3grin2orange:

sandy_byz
08-19-2009, 07:35 AM
if i feed him nthing ... then after hows time he statrts eat shrimps ..?? i feed him frozen bloodwormz

Little Embers
08-19-2009, 07:43 AM
If you are asking "how long before he starts to eat the shrimp"? I honestly can't give you a specific time frame. Don't feed him for a day or two and then try the shrimp or bloodworms and see if he eats them. He may not be used to that sort of food. How long have you had him?

Do you thraw out the bloodworms first or put them in the tank completely frozen?

sandy_byz
08-19-2009, 07:45 AM
just put bloodworms as it is.....from pack to tank.... it dried i thing....smoll in size...

wad the raite way to serve them to f.h

Little Embers
08-19-2009, 07:53 AM
IMO and this is just how I feed bloodworms to my fish, is to cut some of the frozen block of worms and place it in a little container of tank water until the worms have thawed out and wait a couple of minutes for them to warm up a bit before tipping them into the tank. It can be hard for fish to digest food that is too cold and it can also cause intestinal problems....

sandy_byz
08-19-2009, 07:56 AM
its dried ones bloodwormz not forzen

Little Embers
08-19-2009, 08:04 AM
IMO I would switch to frozen.....The freeze-dried worms can take a while to swell up and may end up swelling up inside the fish stomach, causing problems if the fish eats too many at once. If you feed freeze-dried worms, I would also put them in a little container of tank water first to give them time to swell before feeding them.

He may not like freeze-dried....again switch and try the frozen.

sandy_byz
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
thnx little,..... ill try frozen sunr....

Little Embers
08-20-2009, 12:35 AM
My pleasure!!

BTW...what does "sunr" mean?

leggomypleco
08-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Try this site Flowerhorns are in a diffrent leauge than most fresh water fish this site can help you with most problems that you have now and prepare you for the future in flowerhorn care. http://flowerhornrusforum.com/site/

sandy_byz
08-20-2009, 03:58 AM
sunr means soon

Little Embers
08-20-2009, 05:42 AM
sunr means soon
Thanks :22: I don't know where you are from, but why not type.. soon... to help us oldies out. :hmm3grin2orange: It has the same number of letters in it....

jscurrier
08-25-2009, 12:02 AM
I also use frozen bloodworms, frozen whiteworms (same thing essentially) and frozen brine shrimp for feeding. I have a little bowl i use and put the block in the bowl with tank water and wait a bit. I then use a turkey baster to suck up the worm "soup" and use it to target specific areas of the tank. This helps in keeping them out of the filter area and nooks and crannies where they can rot and go to waste.