PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

djd711
08-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Ive been hearing different stories from people but if my angelfish are constantly laying eggs then does this mean they are happy with tank conditions or not?

I personally would think yes tank conditions must be brilliant for them if they continue to spawn but i'd appreciate a more expert opinion.

Thanks

trojannemo
08-19-2009, 12:42 AM
a breeding female angel can lay eggs every 7-10 days, but from my experience she doesnt have to do so. so if she's deciding to lay the eggs then i would take that as a sign that at least the water is in a good range for her and the egggs.
i dont know what you've been told, but laying eggs to me would only suggest water quality is good, but doesnt say anything about overcrowding, overstocking, overfeeding, etc...

EddyC
08-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I agree with Trojannemo. Water conditions must be good, but other tank quality concerns don't directly effect the egglaying (things like overcrowding and whatnot).

Can you be more descriptive about the term "constantly"? Do you mean all day, all the time? Or just frequently? Like Trojannemo said, angels can lay eggs about every 7 days, but if it's much more frequently than that it may be an issue.

DrNic
08-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Eggs = good water conditions

djd711
08-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Well the tank is a 125 litre with 2 adult angels, 2 baby angels, 1 dwarf gourami and 1 female fighter. The female adult angel seems to lay once every 1 - 2 weeks but then they eat their eggs probably due to stress from the other fish.

EddyC
08-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd say that tank is on its way to being overstocked. 125L is about 33 gallons, and if I remember correctly 30 gallons is the minimum size tank for one pair of angels. So the presence of the other fish in that size might be stressing her out, as you've said.

Every 1-2 weeks is normal as far as frequency of egg laying goes. Eating them is, as you said, most likely due to the other fish in the tank. If at all possible I'd consider upgrading to a larger tank or moving the smaller angels into their own tank. The dwarf gourami and the betta should be fine with the angels ... just make sure they're fine with each other. A general rule is that labyrinth fish shouldn't be kept together, but it does work out a lot of the time.

Hopefully someone with more experience with angels will come along to give their opinion, but I agree with you and think that the tank size is stressing her just enough to make her eat the eggs.