PDA

View Full Version : feeding a betta

octoxpuss
08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
does it matter what u feed a betta. and what size tank would u recomend or think the smallest

Sharon
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I suppose the smallest I'd recommend is a 5gal...Bettas need a varied diet, just like any fish. Flakes, pellets, peas, bloodworm, shrimp....

octoxpuss
08-18-2009, 12:59 PM
So they wouldnt need that betta food? well awhile back i got a 1 gallon for this reason to get a betta and i never did. Petco told me it was the perfect size for them. it is like a triangular one. and i wanted it for on my desk so do u think i would be able to put him in there

iZinedane
08-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Nope
get a 2.5g instead if you don't have space for a 5g :22:

Little Embers
08-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Bettas are carnivores and really need meat products, I think the betta pellets or flakes are fine and are designed to there nutritional needs as well as frozen bloodworms. I agree with Sharon, that variety is also key.

I prefer not to have anything smaller than a 5 gall. for a betta, but many may keep them in 2.5 gall. tanks. You need something big enough to be able to accommodate a heater and filter as well as providing room for the fish.

KINGMED
08-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Hikari Betta food is what I feed mine + I give her some frozen bloodworms one time per week and other fish food during the week. The Hikari Betta food is the main food, I keep mine in an uncycled 4.5 gallon critter keeper and clean it out twice a week. I went to a pet store a few months back and they recommended to keep them in a vase with a plant, I asked the lady why they recommended this and she said that's all they needed to servive--and they ate plant matter----well if I'm not completely mistaken they are not plant eaters but insect/meat eaters. I kind of argued with the lady but she thought I was stupid, never been back in there again, same place where they sell puppies and usually the puppies will die not long after. Don't know why it's still in buisness, guess as long as people will buy from them then they'll always stay in buisness.

Sarkazmo
08-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Always, the bigger the better. I have Betta in 1Gal - 10Gal tanks and they all seem equally as happy. I feed Hikari Betta Bio-Gold as their staple food with supplements of blood worms, Hikari Micro Pellets, Brine Shrimp, live gnats, and a few other things. Some Betta can be VERY picky about foods. They're also housed with live plants such as Java Moss, Dwarf Water Lettuce, Duck Weed, and Hornwort. Betta LOVE Java Moss, they wriggle through it and lay on it like a couch. If there's floating plants just under the surface of the water they'll lazily lay there just tilting up to get a breath of air occasionally. Here's a pic of Sancho in his 1.5G cube.

Sark

http://v1vtha.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pMdFmqJJmIwpyeRfR_HUA2uBq8rZ75sLnrZ-IIKilSu-bX4rjGJZGhSkN3bW8Jffpp3_xIQOBH8tV0fE0KFvBMQ/100_4218-Sancho%27s%20new%20digs.JPG

octoxpuss
08-18-2009, 01:30 PM
ok i will see what i can do today but my 1 gallon has an undergravel filter and it heats up with the light i have i have tested it in my house and it stay about 76-78 F so would that be ok

Sharon
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd recommend a heater as they need a stable temp...I keep mine at 80degrees. I've never used an undergravel filter, but I've read that gunk gets under it, and makes water quality a problem. A small HOB filter may be a better option...