PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times To Feed Per Day?

Deleted User
08-17-2009, 11:15 PM
How many times per day do you all recommend feeding bettas? And when feeding them those betta pellets, how many of them per feeding?

I've been feeding ours 2x a day... but although I don't see it "looking" at him in his tank, I just tried to get some pictures and it sort of looks like he's got a fat abdomen like I've seen on info pages when they have become too fat. We have two (separate tanks) but one is new (so I've not made him too fat yet) (blush)

Thanks! thumbs2:

PS Pics of the "belly" on "Nathan":

http://www.whinny4me.com/Fish/Nathan-belly-2.jpg

http://www.whinny4me.com/Fish/Nathan-belly-1.jpg

Rue
08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I fed once a day...4-5 pellets (unless I goofed).

And I often skip Sunday feedings...

rich311k
08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I feed 3-4 pellets once a day.

Lab_Rat
08-18-2009, 01:50 AM
He looks bloated. Maybe give him a half of a pea in case he is constipated. I feed my betta 3-4 pellets once a day.

DrNic
08-18-2009, 03:27 AM
I feed my betta once a day. But I've never had a betta that would eat 'betta pellets' though. I always just use some betta flake that a breeder I know recommended that I mix with some freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms.

HeatherB
08-18-2009, 03:29 AM
Mine were like that too...I was feeding twice a day, like, 5 pellets each feeding! They just always looked so hungry!

Now they get about 3 pellets in the morning, then something like brine shrimp, or tubifex worms in the afternoon. I have not tried peas though.

Deleted User
08-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the advice! I have been feeding 2x a day and I bet about 7 pellets each time. Sometimes substituting freeze dried blood worms. Yes, he and the other always act hungry, always ready to eat but on the other hand, I guess they don't have "a lot" to do beyond anticipating their next meal http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/kiss.gif

I will cut them back to 1x a day and like 5 pellets and skip a day a week as well. All the fish are really interesting and relaxing to me, but I think I'm really kind of attached to these bettas and the goldfish... so especially I don't want to harm them by just feeding them way too much (blush)

Thanks very much for the guidance!!! thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
It does look like bloat

Only feed the bloodworms twice a week, after feeding the staple (your pellets)

Fast it (skip feedings) one day a week and that will also help

For the moment, he doesnt look too bad so just take it easy on feeding for a few days. Fish can go weeks without eating

Sarkazmo
08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I feed primarily Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. Depending on the size of the betta they get from 4-6 pellets once a day, and like many others have said, I skip a day here and there. Instead of the pellets they'll get brine shrimp occasionally as well as blood worms and Hikari micro pellets. Plus they snack on gnats that land in their tank.... they LOVE the gnats, heh.

Sark

pinchyboy
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
few pellets a day is good

Deleted User
08-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Nathan and the as yet un-named other betta both say two thumbs down to you all... what with encouraging their person to feed them less AND just once a day :ssuprised:

I hadn't noticed Nathan was bloated until the pictures. Just the way the flash I guess caught him showed me what I didn't see on my own watching him swim around. So, while they probably don't appreciate the good advice, I do thumbs2:

Reyairia
08-22-2009, 03:02 AM
I give mine 3 pellets a day, sometimes throwing a bloodworm in there. I tried giving him flakes but he didn't like them, then again I haven't tried to do it in a while.

Sharon
08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Jill, I feed my Bettas once a day...either flakes, pellets, peas, bloodworm, or shrimp. I do find that freezedried bloodworms gave mine problems. I feed frozen now...

iZinedane
08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
i give mine 4 flakes a day,
and fast him once a week :22:

geminidragn
08-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I feed mine twice a day every other day and once a day on the other days. Only feed the bloodworms once a week because they tend to cause bloating. I also fast them on Sundays. The bloating could only be your fish because my crown-tail is the only one that gets bloated when he eats can't figure out why, but after one day he is back to normal--I would fast him once a week