PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2 questions

190MPH
08-17-2009, 10:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me with 2 items. The first concerns one of my Boesmani Rainbows. He has a single white dot on him and I'm not sure what it is. I know its not ich because I had that in my tank early on and know what it looks like. The only think I could find that closely resembles it would be gas bubble disease.

The second issue concerns some white hairy looking stuff on a piece of mopani wood in a cycling 125g. I have diatoms everywhere as I did in my other tank, but I never had this. There also seems to be a spot of green algae next to it also.

Pics are below.

Northernguy
08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
The stuff on the wood will dissappear on its own.Some tanks with driftwood get that,not all!The green algae is also common in new tanks.
I don't know about your fish!

Lab_Rat
08-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Not sure about your rainbow fish but the white stuff on the wood is just a fungus eating proteins being broken down. Nothing to worry about, it will go away in a couple of weeks/months when the proteins are gone.

mac
08-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Hey,

By the looks of it, the spot on the Rainbow seems to be a small type off infection. Maybe from lose of a scale which has been infected from bad water quality. May be possibility of Cotton wool.

As for the log don't worry about that. It will clear up soon.

mac

Wild Turkey
08-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Looks like the beginnings of columnaris, whats your maintenance schedule like?

The stuff on the wood is harmless fungus(well technically its algae), will go away on its own

190MPH
08-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys. As far as maintenance, 25-40% WC's and vacs every week to 10 days. Well water, so I use no conditioners. I used to use stress coat plus, and I also have Prime on hand for emergencies. I haven't been using them because I noticed that when added during WC's, it seems to irritate(flashing) some of the fish, especially the cories. Since I've stopped it, no flashing.