PDA

View Full Version : Betta (male) with guppies ?

Neon
08-17-2009, 11:11 AM
hi there everyone !

can someone answer my question please before I feed my Betta with guppies fins ?
He is getting on very well with Tetra neons but i'm in doubt about guppies because of their fins and tails .

also will be a swords tail ok with my beloved betta ? and what about adding a female betta ?

....oh my god so many quastions...but thanks a lot to all of you who can find time to reply to an absolute beginner.:goldfish:

Sharon
08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Sometimes it depends on the personality of the individual Betta. Some will do OK with Guppies, most won't. If I had to guess, I'd say don't do it. A definite No to a female, except for breeding. They will definitely kill each other...

Neon
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
thank you Sharon , I think I will follow ur advise . But how I know if they are ready for breeding and not going to kill each other instead ?

thank u

thrakuarium
08-17-2009, 12:32 PM
A safe tester would be to float the female in a cup in the males tank or to put the tanks close enuff together to see each other. If the male makes a bubble nest thats a reasonably good indicator. I also agree on the guppy issue. Bright tails and bettas usually don't mix well.

Sharon
08-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Here's a fairly good link on breeding Bettas....

http://www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/betta/breeding_betta_fish.html

Neon
08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks a million :22: , u saved me from a great frustration and also a female betta + guppies lives...Thank you , this forum is really great !thumbs2:

Northernguy
08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
A female betta and male btta will fight to the death.

If you do guppies and tetras with a betta you may have issues as well.Tank size is important and you didn't mention yours.

Neon
08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
the neons and teh betta are getting on very well, just wondering about the guppies , but it seemt to be a " no no " thing

cubby
08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
A female betta and male btta will fight to the death.

If you do guppies and tetras with a betta you may have issues as well.Tank size is important and you didn't mention yours.

i must be the luckiest guy on earth.... i have kept about a dozen betta pairs together with never an issue. no intro, or testing, just bring a girl (or guy) home and add them to the estabilished tank. no fights, no ripped fins..... nothing.... like i said... i've done it right at a dozen times...

can't get em to breed though!(blush)