PDA

View Full Version : I have a question??

jimsfishtank
08-17-2009, 06:22 AM
:22: To anyone who has fantailed goldfish...I want to know why do some fantailed goldfish go upside down after they eat??They almost appear to be dead..:scry: But they are not...I useto have a 60 gallon octagon tank and only one of the goldfish did this...Now I have a 10 gallon tank(the 60 gal. decided to spring a leak at 2:30 in the morning..That was not fun,the leak was about 6inches from the bottom of tank!!):ssuprised: The tank was leaking for awhile (only because I was watching the movie with Tom Hanks,The name of the movie just went out of my head,the one with him talking to Wilson the basketball...the sound of the ocean continued after movie was over!!!)Needless to say there was about 45 gallons of water on my floor.So I went to a 10 gallon tank and went from 12 fish in a tank to 5 fish in a tank.Thanks for answering my question in advance..

Little Embers
08-17-2009, 07:15 AM
WELCOME!:22:

It may have been better to post this question in the goldfish subforum, you may get more replies as this is just for introductions. :ssmile:

I don't know, but one guess might be that the fish is gulping too much air from the surface when he is taking the food and this can affect their balance. I have never seen or heard of what you are describing....How long are they doing this for and what are you feeding them? Is there enough oxygen in the tank for them?

Crispy
08-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the forum! Can't help you with your question, but as embers said, post in the goldfish section for quicker replies.

gm72
08-17-2009, 10:37 AM
...moved to the Goldfish subforum.

Sharon
08-17-2009, 11:53 AM
It is definitely not normal, and sounds swim bladder related. Try fasting him for three to four days, and then feed shelled, cooked peas....:ssmile:

megastealer
08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
12 goldfish in a 60 gallon???? Each goldfish needs about 15 gallons - 5 should have been all you had to begin with - in a 10 gallon you really can't keep even one goldfish there for very long.

If you were keeping 12 fantails in a 60 gallon, this is likely why some of them (and the one that sounds like it has swim bladder disease) got sick. Also, you may want to try sinking food instead of pellet food because the air that they eat when trying to eat flakes can also lead to swim bladder disease.