PDA

View Full Version : No more green tiger barbs?

DrNic
08-17-2009, 03:02 AM
I went out today in order to find a trio of green tiger barbs for my barb tank. I visited 2 retail stores and 3 LFSs. Much to my surprise I got the same answers from all of them. Everyone seemed to be under the impression that green tiger barbs are no long available in the trade. The retail stores haven't carried them in over a year, and all the LFSs, who I know all get their fish from different sources, claimed that a message went out sometime in January/Febuary saying that green tiger barbs would likely no longer be available for sale any longer, although no reasons were given.

Does anyone have any info about this? I was really looking forward to have a trio of tigers, a trio of albinos and a trio of greens in my tank.

Lab_Rat
08-17-2009, 03:08 AM
I've not heard that but I've seen plenty of green tiger barbs around here. Almost every LFS and big box store carries them.

wolf_eyes
08-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Could it possibly just be in your area? I know my lfs just got quite a few in and it was only in the past two weeks that the were ordered.

KingFisher
08-17-2009, 03:15 AM
I've seen them at one of the pet stores near me recently as well.

HomaridNoob6
08-17-2009, 11:30 PM
I saw green tiger barbs today when i went to get dog food at a local store. It most likely is just in your area, probably the local suppplier. You could always try ordering them off the internet or see if one of our fine members could set you up with some.

Algenco
08-18-2009, 12:55 AM
I think you need to breed them to supply local demandthumbs2:

DrNic
08-18-2009, 02:04 AM
I think you need to breed them to supply local demandthumbs2:
If only I had the time. Right now writing my thesis has become a major time sink. Once I get finished though I am going to try to get back into breeding. Not sure what though.

For now I'm just going to keep a lookout in the area. If anyone is around MA and finds some, or is willing to ship some here cheap let me know.

Lady Hobbs
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Live Aquaria has them for $1.69. Can't be very rare for that price.

Wild Turkey
08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
They have them at my local petco also, though not usually in good shape.

DrNic
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
yeah I saw those on DrF&S. I was thinking about getting some but $45 for 3 fish (including S&H) is way more than I want to spend.

rich311k
08-18-2009, 03:45 PM
That would be some high priced barbs! Orders like that only worth it if the fish is rare or you are getting a bunch.