PDA

View Full Version : Rescued discus

SouthernGal0682
03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Went to the LFS last night to buy some more plants and noticed a tank that had a single discus in it. Someone had brought him to the store because he had been beaten up...This poor guy is in REALLY bad shape, but they said that his fins will grow back and his eyes will probabally clear up eventually. Anyway, they only want 14.99 for him as long as he is going to a good, peaceful home.

So I have 2 questions...
1. Is a 38gal big enough for a discus?
2. Are they happy by themselves or do they need a mate?
3. I have 13 tetras in there now...will the tetras pick on him?

I feel really sorry for this fish and if he would fit in in my tank I think I am going to bring him home.

kimmers318
03-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Others will chime in I am sure, but I believe discus are quite a specialty fish to keep, they need soft water and can be difficult to keep if not familiar with them. Looking around, several types of tetra are okay with them, but do some research to make sure you are ready for a delicate fish.

cocoa_pleco
03-25-2007, 03:10 PM
yeah. discus need precise amazon conditions.

The neons shouldnt pick on him, and they do like a friend or two. wait until this one gets better until you get more. 38g can hold a few.

Lady Hobbs
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Gawd this stuff makes me so mad. Some idiot probably had him in a tank with a convict or Jack Dempsey.

I am not one to buy a ill or injuried fish but I love this fish so much I would probably buy him myself. Which would not be wise. As Kim mentioned they do have the special water conditions she specified so if you can't give him that, he'd be better going to someone else who may have a discus tank already set up and he will be happier there.

They are social fish and need several of their own species in a discus tank. They are not community fish.

I hate to say it but someone will rescue this poor fish for sure that can possibly give him more than you can provide.

Chrona
03-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Went to the LFS last night to buy some more plants and noticed a tank that had a single discus in it. Someone had brought him to the store because he had been beaten up...This poor guy is in REALLY bad shape, but they said that his fins will grow back and his eyes will probabally clear up eventually. Anyway, they only want 14.99 for him as long as he is going to a good, peaceful home.

So I have 2 questions...
1. Is a 38gal big enough for a discus?
2. Are they happy by themselves or do they need a mate?
3. I have 13 tetras in there now...will the tetras pick on him?

I feel really sorry for this fish and if he would fit in in my tank I think I am going to bring him home.

I'm not that experienced with discuses (discii? lol) but I do know, as drummachine said, they require fairly specific water parameters. How big is the one at the store? Juvenile discus require VERY clean water and several feedings a day to develop properly (which is usually done in a bare bottom tank), which is why people often shell out the big bucks for a adult discus. Most sites seem to recommend about a tall 50g+ tank. I believe it is recommended to keep them in pairs or groups of 6 or more. All in all, if you are up to the challenge, go for it, but keep in mind these fish are very finicky, and you'll probably have to end up doing 50% water changes twice a week in a 38g.

cocoa_pleco
03-25-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm not that experienced with discuses (discii? lol) but I do know, as drummachine said, they require fairly specific water parameters. How big is the one at the store? Juvenile discus require VERY clean water and several feedings a day to develop properly (which is usually done in a bare bottom tank), which is why people often shell out the big bucks for a adult discus. Most sites seem to recommend about a tall 50g+ tank. I believe it is recommended to keep them in pairs or groups of 6 or more. All in all, if you are up to the challenge, go for it, but keep in mind these fish are very finicky, and you'll probably have to end up doing 50% water changes twice a week in a 38g.

uhhh, drumachine never posted here. lol

Chrona
03-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Oh, sorry, I meant cocoa. Not quite awake yet and you keep switching avatars on me

cocoa_pleco
03-25-2007, 05:17 PM
and i quoted your mistake! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! lol

Drumachine09
03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Oh, sorry, I meant cocoa. Not quite awake yet and you keep switching avatars on me

HA! Youre thinking about me. How could i blame you? lol

The discus will be very hard to take care of. I would pass if i were you.

Chrona
03-25-2007, 07:21 PM
HA! Youre thinking about me. How could i blame you? lol

Don't flatter yourself :rolleyes:

Drumachine09
03-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Don't flatter yourself :rolleyes:

Too late. :hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
03-25-2007, 07:30 PM
hahahahaha. lol

SouthernGal0682
03-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Well I don't mind the challenge of keeping difficult fish. This is not my first aquarium, just my first planted one. I actually wanted to start a salt water, but my husband and I are building a house and will be moving within the year so I didn't want to start a reef and then break it down...so all that to say, catering to the needs of specialty fish is not a problem. I am actually setting up a South American biotope, so my tank is already "amazon" themed. But...it is not completely cycled yet, so it would probablly be at least another 3-4 weeks before I could even bring this guy home. I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to keep a discus with the parameters that I have now. He is in really bad shape and I hope someone does give him a good home. I will probablly check back after my tank has cycled and if they still have him I will probablly buy him.

Oh, someone asked how big he is. He is definitely not a juvenile...probablly about 5-6 inches.

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 01:39 AM
As long as the water is soft and you have a low pH, he'll do OK.

http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/

Read about them here.

Oh.....and don't keep a pleco with them. Pleco's will suck on them for their slime coat.

Chrona
03-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Well I don't mind the challenge of keeping difficult fish. This is not my first aquarium, just my first planted one. I actually wanted to start a salt water, but my husband and I are building a house and will be moving within the year so I didn't want to start a reef and then break it down...so all that to say, catering to the needs of specialty fish is not a problem. I am actually setting up a South American biotope, so my tank is already "amazon" themed. But...it is not completely cycled yet, so it would probablly be at least another 3-4 weeks before I could even bring this guy home. I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to keep a discus with the parameters that I have now. He is in really bad shape and I hope someone does give him a good home. I will probablly check back after my tank has cycled and if they still have him I will probablly buy him.

Oh, someone asked how big he is. He is definitely not a juvenile...probablly about 5-6 inches.

Great! If he's an adult, go for it. Discus are fairly social though, so I think they don't do all that well by themselves. More research for you :)

SouthernGal0682
03-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Gawd this stuff makes me so mad. Some idiot probably had him in a tank with a convict or Jack Dempsey.

Really made me mad too...and it makes it even worse when you see the condition he is in because it is obvious that this isn't a random case of aggression. He had been taking abuse for a while.

2manyfish
05-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Very common misconception. Discus only need their pH to be altered if you are breeding them or your pH is unusually high (like 8.0 and above). Discus will spawn in higher pH water but the eggs will not hatch in even neutral water (7.0). So unless you are trying to breed them it's much better if you just keep your water clean rather than having the pH bounce all over the place.....
He will need friends though, they are not solitary fish. For a 38g you could probably squeeze in 2 to 3 more. Just watch the water parameters. Tetras should be fine with discus.
While discus are rather timid fish, when they are breeding or establishing dominance they can be like any other cichlid!! The wounds this fish recieved could very well have come from another discus!

Rue
05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I didn't know that! Our well water has a very high pH...but if I get a 75g I'd have to use it...too much water to haul otherwise...

...we also have natural 'black-water'...so that part would be good...I wonder if a big hunk of driftwood would naturally lower the pH?

...I was thinking of a Black Ghost Knife...and one of the few fish recommended for them are discus...

...discus aren't my personal favourites...but I agree they'd look stunning with the BFK in a planted tank...(NO flourite)...

Chrona
05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Wow, old thread =)