PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crab getting ready to molt?

aquatic lover
08-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi, one of my hermit crabs is just sitting in his/her burrow and I really never see him/her walk around his/her tank. I check him/her sometimes to make sure he/she is not dead and he/she is not dead. So I took him/her out today and he/she is turning a purple blackish color, so my question is, is he/she readying to molt? any response would be apreciated, thanks.

Northernguy
08-14-2009, 11:45 PM
That sounds like a good possability.
Wait and see!

Little Embers
08-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't know much about hermit crabs, but only from what I have read...they will normally stay burrowed for days (up to a week sometimes) when molting as staying buried relieves stress during molting. I'm not sure about the purplish colour, but I would leave him be and if you start to smell a strong rotting fishy smell, then you know he has died. I also read that the temperature and humidity in the tank needs to be between 74 - 82* fahrenheit....I am sure you have done your own research though. :ssmile:

aquatic lover
08-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Yes I know a lot about hermit crabs and I know they need to breath humid air and I know what the temperature should be, thank you all!

Northernguy
08-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Another reason they hide when molting is they are easy prey.When they lose their shell they are soft for a while and most fish will enjoy that.Even if there is no fish birds would get them.Its a natural instinct to hide!

Little Embers
08-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Yes I know a lot about hermit crabs and I know they need to breath humid air and I know what the temperature should be, thank you all!
I'll say no more, as I no nothing about them at all, except from what I have read. :hmm3grin2orange: I should take Smaugs' advice and only reply when I have experience in it. :hmm3grin2orange:

pinchyboy
08-17-2009, 08:50 PM
idk w8 and c what happens to him/her