PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on stocking my 185g

Xandict
08-14-2009, 12:27 AM
I plan to use the 185g I got for a few different types of small fish in large schools. Its acrylic and the background is black, I think its mixed in with the acrylic so no scraping it off. I will also be using flourite black sand and heavily planted with 1 part of the L shape high light plants and the other section with medium light plants. So far I want a school of about 20-25 cardinal tetras, 20-25 harlequin rasboras, some kind of cories and maybe some red cherry shrimp. Can anyone suggest a small, schooling fish that would go good with these and add color to the tank? I dont want no fish that will breed often like guppies or anything like that. Its still going to be awhile b4 I set up but researching now so I'll be ready. Thanks

MonkeyPox
08-14-2009, 12:29 AM
GloFish are certainly colorful and will school well. Others you already mentioned would make nice additions.

Xandict
08-14-2009, 12:31 AM
glofish as in the dyed danios? if thats what youre talking about i dont really want to support the dyeing of fish

MonkeyPox
08-14-2009, 12:32 AM
they're not dyed

jaysee
08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
The glofish you'll buy in the store are 100% natural. Their ancestors were genetically modified by splicing a gene from a jellyfish into the DNA chain.

sandypants
08-14-2009, 06:47 PM
GloLight and Gold tertas are some of my favs. The golds look like mini sharks to me :) peaceful though.

Garrett
08-14-2009, 06:59 PM
The glofish you'll buy in the store are 100% natural. Their ancestors were genetically modified by splicing a gene from a jellyfish into the DNA chain.

When I found that out, I thought it was the coolest thing ever-I did the same thing as an experiment in high school, although it was bacteria we got to glow and not zebras. :shappy:

On-topic, I really like cherry barbs, they seem to be pretty placid and relaxed. On the other hand, they might be too similar color-wise to the cardinal tetras, not sure.

jaysee
08-14-2009, 07:10 PM
When I found that out, I thought it was the coolest thing ever-I did the same thing as an experiment in high school, although it was bacteria we got to glow and not zebras. :shappy:

On-topic, I really like cherry barbs, they seem to be pretty placid and relaxed. On the other hand, they might be too similar color-wise to the cardinal tetras, not sure.

The cherry barbs will bring out the red stripe of the cardinals really well...at least they do for my neons. Especially with a black background.

Xandict
08-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Can anyone give me an idea of how many lil fish my 185g will hold?

wolf_eyes
08-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Here are a few fish that i think would look good in this tank and would contrast well with wha you already have.
gold tetras, true rummy nose tetras,zebra danios, emerald dwarf rasboras, black phantom tetras, marble hatchetfish , green fire tetras

As for corys i would look towards:
peppered, sterbai,panda, julii/trilneatus (MUST have soft water),emerald green, adolfi. or if you want to keep a mini theme going on, you could get, pygmaeus, hasbrosus, or hastatus

Have you thought about maybe getting a signature species? Some that are peaceful enough for the community are : peacock gudgeons, German Blue Rams,dwarf gournamis, pearl gourami, and bolvian rams

jaysee
08-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Can anyone give me an idea of how many lil fish my 185g will hold?

Well, you could have one or two really big fish, or hundreds of little fish and everything inbetween. Do you want a community tank?

You could do a beautiful rainbow tank, with a few different schools. Rainbows do have a tendancy to at times school with other fish, especially other rainbows. Add a school of pearl gourami, which except for sparklings, are the only gourami that can be kept in a "school". Add a school of cherry barbs and a school of gold barbs. Also, a boatload of neons. Finally, clown loaches. I don't know much about clowns, so maybe they don't fit in, but I've always wanted to keep them! If not, a whole bunch of corys. Or a boatload of pygmy corys!

Garrett
08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
One thing I've noticed in my 20gal (had a friend just randomly give me a cycled tank with fish in it after hearing about my 10 gallon-long story) is that the cherry barbs and the neons school together, it's a really nifty visual.

Lab_Rat
08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
You're 185g will hold a bunch of little, low bioload fish if that's the kind of tank you want. Especially with it being planted, I could see having 100+ small tetras in there (key word being small).