PDA

View Full Version : New Crayfish

doogle
08-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi guys i'm from the UK and going to buy a crayfish for the first time, i was wondering if someone could put a link up of the type of tank i should be looking at for the one crayfish? Cheers.

aquatic lover
08-13-2009, 10:35 PM
You will need lots of hiding places and a 10gal or 20gal tank and make sure that you have lots of climbing places for the crayfish feed it foods like shrimp pellets. I am sorry I can't post a link. And crayfish are fully aquatic, what species of crayfish are you planning on getting?

Oscar_freak12321
08-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Here you go: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article40.html

Northernguy
08-14-2009, 12:04 AM
I say 10-20 gal. if you want to enjoy watching it.Give it rocks and plants to climb on as well as caves to hide in.
It will need a filter.
For a lid look at reptile lids.The water can flow through it but it willl block escapes!
The only fish I suggest are feeders.

Joethegreek
08-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I have a blue crayfish and he is really cool to watch. Especially when hes hunting, he does two things. 1. he climbs up the plants and goes "fishing" and waits for a fish to go past him and he snatches them up. 2. he lays on his back like hes dead and waits for a fish to get curious and grabs them lightning fast. I keep him in a 10 gallon with a bunch of plants and rocks to climb in and around. as far as tank mates go, good luck. he ate 2 electric yellows and 2 reds. but for some reason he was able to live with a jewel cichlid for 2 years. just keep a lid on the tank or your gonna wake up one day and see him on the floor walking around. lol.

jaysee
08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
You will need lots of hiding places and a 10gal or 20gal tank and make sure that you have lots of climbing places for the crayfish feed it foods like shrimp pellets. I am sorry I can't post a link. And crayfish are fully aquatic, what species of crayfish are you planning on getting?

Yup!

Choosing tankmates is hard, because the crayfish does eat fish. I would avoid any bottom feeders (you won't need them anyways) because the cray will endlessly harrass them until it eats them. This is true for all fish that swim in the lower level of the tank. It'll get them while they're sleeping. I keep neons with my blue crayfish and have to periodicly buy more to maintain the school. She's never eaten a cherry barb, though.

Your best bet for tankmates are cheap, easy to get fish.