PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Fishtank

HeatherB
08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
It has come time to bring the fishtank at work home with me (hopefully for another permanent residence if I can convince my Mom that my new boss will not allow them)

It is 3 platys, 2 swordtails and fry. It has gravel substrate and is a ten gallon.

What is the easiest way to move them? I was thinking draining the water to like, 3 inches or so and then transport them? Leaving all the fish in the tank?

I only live about 15 min. or less from work, so not like they will be in those conditions for very long. I already have a place for them (or I will tonight after I go buy a stand)

So I was thinking to do that, move them and then fill back up with water as soon as I get home. Everyone think this is OK?

Oscar_freak12321
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I would catch all the fish and put them into a bucket. Set in an airstone in the bucket and take the tank by itself. It may seem easier to leave the fish in the tank, but this is not so. They will get highly stressed to begin with, so why not relieve their stress a little bit by giving them a bucketful of water rather than 3 inches? Anyways, bucket with airstone yes. 3 inches in tank no. That is my two cents. :22:

jackson17
08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Ya use the buckets, no need for the airstone though, your only 15 minutes away. Just have the spot at home ready for the tank to be put there right when you get home so you can put the fish back in easier.

HeatherB
08-13-2009, 09:34 PM
I thought about buckets. I think I could easily net the adults, but most of the fry are TINY. That is why I thought about leaving them in there.

Could I net the adults, put them in the bucket and then keep some water in the tank for the fry?

jackson17
08-13-2009, 09:44 PM
How tiny are we talking? How big is the tank to? lol

If it is like a 10 or 20 gallon, what you could do is drain it to a couple inches, and use X amount of nets to go with width or the tank, start at one end, and go the length of the tank to the other end to make sure you go them all.

If it is a 10 gallon, you could probably drain it half way, and move it as is, with some help and something to support the bottom

HeatherB
08-13-2009, 10:11 PM
It is a 10 gallon.

And I mean, like, those fry were just born 2 days ago. Plus they have no color really, so they are like, clearish. I am guessing they are rainbow platys because they are very lightly colored.

bushwhacker
08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
you had the right idea in the first place heather just drain the tank down and move it fish and all

HeatherB
08-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Ok. Now, I was thinking to put my filter media in a ziploc bag with tank water... or what else? It is just a carbon cartridge thing.

jackson17
08-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Ya ziplock baggy it with tank water. Drain it to about 3 or so inches and move, it won't be that heavy. Get some1 to help you if needed

DrNic
08-14-2009, 01:32 AM
I would use 2 5 gallon buckets and some zip lock bags.

Catch the fish and bag them. Save half the water in one bucket. Put the gravel, and enough water to cover it in the other. Then empty the rest of the tank.

10G tanks aren't made to support that much weight and if you leave the gravel and/or water in the tank you'll risk breaking the glass or the seals.

This is pretty much the standard procedure for moving any tank really.

HeatherB
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Ok. I think I will drain it to a couple of inches and see how it goes. I can park right next to the door and then within 10 foot of my bedroom when I get home.

Do you think if I moved it to a peice of plywood or something and had someone help me would be better? At least then the weight would be evenly distributed.

bushwhacker
08-14-2009, 03:41 AM
heather you could carry that tank or sweet talk some guy lol.. you wont need plywood and dont bother bagging the fish its a waste of time and more stress to the fish.. nic i hear what your saying man but its a 10 gallon i moved a 30 gallon hex with 8 african cichlids in the tank drained it down put it in the back of the truck and drove 45 min. home

HeatherB
08-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks bushwhacker. I got everyone here safely. I just drained it and carried it in like I originally thought. Everyone is doing fine!

bushwhacker
08-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks bushwhacker. I got everyone here safely. I just drained it and carried it in like I originally thought. Everyone is doing fine!

your very welcome gal. glad it al worked out :hmm3grin2orange: