PDA

View Full Version : Koi.

AznHmongLor
08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
What types of fishes go great with koi's?

Oscar_freak12321
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Goldfish. And plecos. Select species, not all plecos do well in coldwater tanks.

robflanker
08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Welcome back (3rd time is a charm)

Cold-water fish like other goldfish

what size tank are we talking about? and how many koi do you have already

Crispy
08-12-2009, 08:57 PM
...are you talking about an outdoor pond? or tank? Many species of catfish go well with koi (just avoid the tropical cats).

AznHmongLor
08-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Welcome back (3rd time is a charm)

Cold-water fish like other goldfish

what size tank are we talking about? and how many koi do you have already

Thanks lol, been trying to get out of trouble these days lol. Well I got more stories to tell. My bass is doing perfect but for some reason, I moved to my new house now and I think my tank restarted UGH!. Yes, before I left the old house my nitrites were at a peak and began to fall. I then sadly had to move to my new house in which when I transported the tank I had to take out about 80% of the water. When I arrived at the new house I quickly added new dechlorinated tap water. The first 3-4 days the tank read nothing at all with my bass and a couple feeder fish in there. Ammonia and Nitrite levels were all at zero. Now, a week and a half later my ammonia starts rising slowly again just like when I had started the tank at my old house. Did my tank restart? but yeah Im adding in koi's now lol. Got 1 in there right now with my bass and wanting to add other nice fishes in. Dont mind the bass though probably getting rid of it soon. Would guppies do well with Koi's? What about gourami's? and like neon tetras?

Oh yeah forgot its a 20 gal. tank.

robflanker
08-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Your tank is way way way too small for the bass alone.

I'm not sure if its even big enough for 1 Koi on its own.

You should not add any more fish. At all.

AznHmongLor
08-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Your tank is way way way too small for the bass alone.

I'm not sure if its even big enough for 1 Koi on its own.

You should not add any more fish. At all.

LOL everyone suggests that space is always a problem to me but I think that space is just luxary for the fish lol. My bass has been doing fine in there for so long now its very strong and lively. But yeah just wondering what goes well with kois.

robflanker
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Space is luxary? I dont think so

You should not add more fish to that tank - it is already over stocked and there is no way you should add more.

Get a bigger tank if you want more fish, sorry

Crispy
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
I agree with rob.... and space is not a luxury for fish, it's a necessity for the long-term health of the fish. 20 gallons is too small for a bass and too small for a single koi.

LethalResistanz
08-12-2009, 09:37 PM
LOL everyone suggests that space is always a problem to me but I think that space is just luxary for the fish lol. My bass has been doing fine in there for so long now its very strong and lively. But yeah just wondering what goes well with kois.

I think you need a bit of an attitude adjustment to begin with.

Your already have one bass and a kio. Both of these fish alone are way to big for you tank. There are many cool tropical fish you can keep in a 20 gallon tank. I would forcefully suggest you either:

A- Return the kio
B- Find some one with a pond and put him in there.

You still have a bass that you will have to find a home for too.

You are keeping your fish in very cruel conditions and hopefully you will be able to realize that and prevent further suffering.

Lab_Rat
08-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Space is a luxury????

Well in that case, you could survive living locked in a bathroom. With no working plumbing to remove your waste products. Would you like to live like that though? You probably wouldn't live for too long, unsanitary conditions would cause you to expire prematurely, probably before you were even full grown.

The fish you're talking about keeping belong in a pond. Koi are not aquarium fish, period. Neither are bass. Especially not in a 20 gallon tank.

Seems like you're a bit of a troll, I guess I shouldn't be feeding you.

King Tut
08-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks lol, been trying to get out of trouble these days lol. Well I got more stories to tell.
Oh yeah forgot its a 20 gal. tank.

It would seem that once again you are back to not listening to people's advice. Not only is the tank to small for these fish but you can't put Gourami or Tetra in a cold water tank.

As for luxury - I agree with Lab_Rat 150%. I wouldn't mind putting you in a training cage and seeing how well you live.

Lady Hobbs
08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
What types of fishes go great with koi's?

Koi are pond fish as well as the common goldfish. Both reach 12". The only way these fish can be in a tank is if the tank was very, very large. A 20 gallon will not do at all.

Easy rule to follow is Small tanks=Small fish. You would not buy a tiny doghouse for a Great Dane so please let common sense prevail.

People. Stop with the comments please. It helps no one.

cubby
08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Koi are pond fish as well as the common goldfish. Both reach 12". The only way these fish can be in a tank is if the tank was very, very large. A 20 gallon will not do at all.

Easy rule to follow is Small tanks=Small fish. You would not buy a tiny doghouse for a Great Dane so please let common sense prevail.

People. Stop with the comments please. It helps no one.

the Koi will grow much larger than 12" if allow space and fed correctly. the bass will grow larger than 12" also.

space being a luxury has been addressed, but i will say this..... often, when i see people being chastised for the "wrong fish, wrong tank size" its with something like an oscar, loach, pleco, or similiar in a smaller tank than is optimal..... something i rarely see addressed is the age of the fish.... just like when crate training a huge breed puppy, you DON'T put it into a full sized crate. you start it in a smaller crate. it simple DOESN'T need that much room at that point. you put a 2" oscar into a 55 gallon tank, same idea. when it grows, it will NEED that larger tank. soonish, the way oscars grow, but for the immediate future, it is not truly a must. a priority, but not a must. a 2" fish of any type will be ok in a 55 gallon for a amount of time determined by the growth rate.... the faster they grow, the faster you better be prepared. that is something you can't ignore..... you can say "i'm not going to give it the space it needs" or "i will give it the space it truly needs" but you can't deny the fact that it NEEDS that space. can it live? you bet. millions and millions of fish live, everyday, inside tanks that "experts" decree is "too small to possibly house a XXXX fish".

anyway.... the koi is too big for a 20. the bass is to big for a 20. can you add more fish? sure you can. should you? it would be pretty stupid, and on the ridiculously stupid side of pretty stupid. i have only been around AC for a short period of time.... but a recurring thread is "what can i add to my tank which is already full, and everyone has told me its too full".... seems pretty disrespectful to me.... to get advice on a situation, blow off the advice, and then start an all but IDENTICAL thread stating that you need advice to dismiss on the EXACT SAME subject as before..... and then publicly state "ah, you guys are dumb, i'm gonna do this...."

just MY .02.

cubby
08-12-2009, 10:26 PM
as too what fish live well with Koi. here are my answers from experience.

first:

get a big, natural pond! :14:

then add the following:

grass crap
small and large mouth bass
bluegill
sunfish
albino catfish
SINGLE channel catfish (otherwise they will TAKE OVER your pond, and eat everyone else.)
turtles

will this recipe you can have koi 18" long, 22" AROUND in a matter of a few years. about the same for the catfish, but the bodies take longer to fill out.... grass crap LARGER than 24" and about 28" around. bass from you finger tips to your elbow in 5 years or so.... depending on hybrid or not, and food supply and such.......

and honestly..... its easier than a fish tank!:goldfish: :fish:

Lady Hobbs
08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
the Koi will grow much larger than 12" if allow space and fed correctly. the bass will grow larger than 12" also.

space being a luxury has been addressed, but i will say this..... often, when i see people being chastised for the "wrong fish, wrong tank size" its with something like an oscar, loach, pleco, or similiar in a smaller tank than is optimal..... something i rarely see addressed is the age of the fish.... just like when crate training a huge breed puppy, you DON'T put it into a full sized crate. you start it in a smaller crate. it simple DOESN'T need that much room at that point. you put a 2" oscar into a 55 gallon tank, same idea. when it grows, it will NEED that larger tank. soonish, the way oscars grow, but for the immediate future, it is not truly a must. a priority, but not a must. a 2" fish of any type will be ok in a 55 gallon for a amount of time determined by the growth rate.... the faster they grow, the faster you better be prepared. that is something you can't ignore..... you can say "i'm not going to give it the space it needs" or "i will give it the space it truly needs" but you can't deny the fact that it NEEDS that space. can it live? you bet. millions and millions of fish live, everyday, inside tanks that "experts" decree is "too small to possibly house a XXXX fish".

anyway.... the koi is too big for a 20. the bass is to big for a 20. can you [/URL] add [URL="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNman000"] (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNman000) more fish? sure you can. should you? it would be pretty stupid, and on the ridiculously stupid side of pretty stupid. i have only been around AC for a short period of time.... but a recurring thread is "what can i add to my tank which is already full, and everyone has told me its too full".... seems pretty disrespectful to me.... to get advice on a situation, blow off the advice, and then start an all but IDENTICAL thread stating that you need advice to dismiss on the EXACT SAME subject as before..... and then publicly state "ah, you guys are dumb, i'm gonna do this...."

just MY .02.

No arguement from me, kid-o. I totally agree with you. These are pond fish, big time. I should have stated Koi to get 12"-20".

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_7_105v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNman000)

gm72
08-12-2009, 10:42 PM
If space is a luxury for the fish then certainly air is a luxury for the rest of us.

I think we've all made our point. This really isn't worth any further debate.

AznHmongLor
08-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. My bass is very small by the way lol I think some of you may have thought I kept one that I fished. And I know you need bigger tanks for these fishes but I myself have seen a very very big pacu and 2 oscars live in this tank. LOL they reached about 8 inches each in this tank. But when my fishes get bigger I'll transfer to a bigger tank. Already planning on an arowana lol.

Funny thing is that wow I get flammed everytime I type something in here. I know Im about to get 20 replies here in a bit. lol

Oh yeah and about the space is luxary thing, my view is that Im like keeping my fishes in a prison. You guys on the other hand are keeping your fishes in a mansion. Just seeing if things would work out. I by the way love walmarts refund and exchange policy. Got to love wallyworld.

gm72
08-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Nope, we're done. Closed.