PDA

View Full Version : help on sand it tank

sunnyjones003
08-12-2009, 07:43 PM
hi people, ive just bought white sand for my tank and im wondering what is the best way to wash the sand before putting it into the tank, if i need to wash it??

-Lp
08-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Don't use sand myself, but I've heard using a pillow case works pretty well. I would wash it.

bushwhacker
08-12-2009, 09:17 PM
you have to wash it.. the best way is in a 5 gallon bucket. fill it 1/3 to 1/2 with sand get the garden hose and put it down in the buxket stir the sand around with your hand and let it overflow to wash out the lighter stuff. it takes a while but its well worth the effort... when you think its clean wash it again lol

Northernguy
08-12-2009, 09:20 PM
And again and again. That way when you fill your tank it won't be so cloudy.
And again and again! Whew, almost done! lolthumbs2:
You will be happy you did!

octoxpuss
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
ha i believe i am going to be doing sand in a new tank so i know what the guy is thinking HA i dont want to but i believe it will be worth it

DrNic
08-13-2009, 01:45 AM
you have to wash it.. the best way is in a 5 gallon bucket. fill it 1/3 to 1/2 with sand get the garden hose and put it down in the buxket stir the sand around with your hand and let it overflow to wash out the lighter stuff. it takes a while but its well worth the effort... when you think its clean wash it again lol
I also heard that it helps to use a hose with a strong shower setting when washing in order to more completely mix the small particles out of the sand.

Does anyone have any idea on the best way to wash sand in the winter months? We'll be moving into a new apartment/house later this year. After the move I want to transfer at least 2 of my tanks to sand but if it's freezing outside I'm not going to be able to use the hose and I'm worried the sand will clog the tub.

Northernguy
08-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Sand will badly clog the plumbing.I tried it with a sponge in the laundry room sink.It worked but only because I cheated.I sucked up the water and sand with a shop vac because the sponge clogged quite fast.
By the sand and clean it now,before winter.Keep it in a clean bucket with a lid.

bushwhacker
08-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Sand will badly clog the plumbing.I tried it with a sponge in the laundry room sink.It worked but only because I cheated.I sucked up the water and sand with a shop vac because the sponge clogged quite fast.
By the sand and clean it now,before winter.Keep it in a clean bucket with a lid.

listen to the eskimo here he know wherefor he speaks:hmm3grin2orange:

octoxpuss
08-15-2009, 07:41 PM
ha i did it and it is completely worth it