PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm Here Again....lol

MeganL3985
08-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Hi Guys! Its been a while since I've posted, I know.....but I need some expert help and I always know where to turn to. :)
Anyway.....I acquired a common pleco from a (well meaning) friend as a gift and umm.......I still only have a 20 gallon. Not sure when I'll have the space to set up the 55 that I have. Right now little guys only about 2 inches long....but obviously going to get bigger. There's a place in town I know will take him when I run out of room, but how long do you think I'll have before I have to get rid of him. He seems so happy in there right now, I don't want to get rid of him just yet. I wish people would not give fish as gifts, even to fish lovers....lol Its like giving someone a great dane puppy when they have a one bedroom apartment. haha

So my questions. How long do I have and how big is the cut off for a 20 gal?

MonkeyPox
08-12-2009, 04:12 AM
common plecos grow quite fast. Even if you set up a 55, it won't be established well enough to house him in, even temporarily. I would encourage you to see if a LFS will let you turn him in for store credit.

In a direct answer to your question, I wouldn't attempt to house him more then 2 months if he's 2 inches now. I'd double check his size before you made that determination, though.

MeganL3985
08-12-2009, 04:23 AM
I know a decent amount about pleco's just not sure what size is appropriate for 20 gal. He is 2 inches right now, I measured him when it was brought in the bag. From nose to end of tail.

Kaz
08-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Hi Guys! Its been a while since I've posted, I know.....but I need some expert help and I always know where to turn to. :)
Anyway.....I acquired a common pleco from a (well meaning) friend as a gift and umm.......I still only have a 20 gallon. Not sure when I'll have the space to set up the 55 that I have. Right now little guys only about 2 inches long....but obviously going to get bigger. There's a place in town I know will take him when I run out of room, but how long do you think I'll have before I have to get rid of him. He seems so happy in there right now, I don't want to get rid of him just yet. I wish people would not give fish as gifts, even to fish lovers....lol Its like giving someone a great dane puppy when they have a one bedroom apartment. haha

So my questions. How long do I have and how big is the cut off for a 20 gal?

Megan! I missed you!:hmm3grin2orange:

Taurus
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi Megan :19: WB.

I certainly wouldn't let the pleco get any longer than 3 inches. I'd keep him long enough to get him healthy and strong..then I'd take him to the LFS. :22:

Red
08-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Megan where have you been, now we have to get angelcakes back.
I say you got 3-5 months. Do your water changes and you will be fine!

Northernguy
08-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Welcome back Megan!:22:
3-3 1/2"thumbs2:

DrNic
08-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Plecos can get pretty big fast. Depending on how much you feed them they're likely to out grow out of a 20G tank in 1 to 2 years probably. Maybe another year or 2 before it outgrows a 55G.

If you have an outdoor pond you can try to put him out there. Other than that its a trade in situation, although I know a lot of LFSs that don't take large plecos because even they don't have tanks big enough, or clients with tanks that can fit them. Around here it's hard to even find standard plecos as a result.

Anomaly
08-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Around here it's hard to even find standard plecos as a result.

Wow! I wish it was that way everywhere else. Common plecos are sold to every Tom, Dick, and Harry around here. Just go to Wal-Mart, grab an algae eater (Commom Pleco), drop it in your 10 gallon tank and your good to go. :hammer2: